The teenager accused of killing 17 people in last week’s high school shooting massacre in Parkland, Florida, had been reported to police for threatening people with a gun.
According to police records obtained by CNN, the family that took in Nikolas Cruz after his mother died in November contacted authorities multiple times with concerns about his guns and claimed he had threatened people with weapons.
After his mother died on November 1, Cruz went to live with family friend Rocxanne Deschamps and her son Rock, 22. In late November, Rock reportedly called police to say he believed that Nikolas has hidden a gun in the yard despite house rules against having firearms in the home. An investigation could not verify Rock’s claims, but it is unclear if police searched the property.
Just four days later, the family police again, reporting that Cruz had become aggressive. He and Rock had reportedly gotten into a physical fight, and Rocxanne Deschamps claimed that Cruz said “he was going to get his gun and come back.” According to the records obtained by CNN, the woman told police that “he has put the gun to others heads in the past.”
Police responded and found Cruz in a park. He reportedly told them that he was upset over his mother’s death, and he and Rock later reconciled. Cruz apologized for losing his temper.
A short time later, Cruz went to live with Kimberly and James Snead, parents of a friend. The Sneads gave Cruz permission to keep his guns in a locked safe, and have said in media interviews that they saw no signs that Cruz was planning a violent act.
As CrimeOnline previously reported, Deschamps has filed a claim on an $800,000 inheritance Cruz was expecting to receive from his mother’s estate when he turned 22.
[Feature image: Nikolas Cruz/Associated Press]