Fourth grader dies of massive cocaine overdose

Marcus Lee was at his mother’s house when he overdosed. She has now hired a lawyer and is no longer communicating with police.

A nine-year-old boy who died suddenly on the day after Christmas was found to have been killed by an overdose of cocaine.

According to WFMJ, little Marcus Lee died on December 26 after being taken in an ambulance to the hospital from his mother’s Midland, Ohio, home.


The death was initially ruled as accidental, and the boy’s father and stepmother were reportedly told that he died of natural causes, possibly from a seizure.

But they weren’t convinced.

“Nobody was told the truth.  I wasn’t told the truth,” Marcus Lee, Sr., told WFMJ.

“I want everybody to suffer that had something to do with it.”

A preliminary medical examination reportedly found that the boy had stimulants in his system at the time of his death, but it took five months for the coroner to complete a full toxicology report.

“He died from acute cocaine toxicity, and the test results were ‘off the charts’ according to the Cuyahoga County Coroner’s Office,” Youngstown Police Lieutenant Doug Bobovnyik told the news station.

“It appears he ingested it orally.  There was cocaine found in his stomach,” he said.

Police sources told the news station that officers were not called until several hours after the little boy died. They searched the mother’s home, and found no cocaine at the time. Police reportedly questioned the mother, her boyfriend, and a family friend initially, but have not made contact with her since she hired an attorney.

Two other children have since been removed from the Midland home.

Meanwhile, Marcus’s other family members are waiting for answers — and justice.

“I not here to judge anybody because I’m not perfect,” Marcus’s stepmother told WFMJ.

“But I know that baby didn’t deserve that and I know that baby shouldn’t be there.  And we’re not going to be quiet about it.  I know that much.”


Photo: WMFD Screenshot