Former secretary of Texas principal who shot himself admits affair; police have surveillance video of school parking lot

“You realize you’re still alive only because I can’t afford a hitman, right?”

The woman at the center of a bizarre suicide case in Texas has come forward with a public statement confessing to an affair with Dennis Reeves, the former Kirbyville High School principal who is believed to have shot himself in the head just after he abruptly resigned last month.

As Crime Online previously reported, Reeves was found dead in his pickup truck in the Kirbyville High School parking lot on May 23, shortly after he met with two school district officials and offered his resignation.

Both the resignation and the apparent suicide came as a shock to the southeast Texas community, where Reeves was by all accounts a beloved and well-respected school administrator.

Several days after the apparent suicide, the school superintendent and assistant superintendent who called the meeting with Reeves told police in a written statement that they had confronted the principal with allegations he had an affair with a former secretary. Superintendent Tommy Wallis told police that Reeves had been given the option of resigning or submitting to a formal investigation of the affair allegations.

Reeves submitted his resignation, though according to the statements, he did not admit to the affair. He was dead an hour later.

On Tuesday, the same day that a judge granted a request by the Reeves family to preserve documentation potentially related to the principal’s death, Reeves’s former secretary broke her silence with a detailed statement in which she admitted to an extramarital affair with Reeves and accused his wife, Tammy Reeves, of harassing her publicly and privately.

In the statement obtained by KFDM, Marcia Morgan said that she was sorry for the affair that began shortly after she became Reeves’s secretary in the fall of 2015 and continued for several months, during which time Reeves purportedly told her that his marriage was struggling and that he wanted to leave his wife. Morgan said she was in a troubled marriage at the time, which has since ended.

She also said that her affair with Mr. Reeves ended in the spring of 2016 when she took a position at another school in the district, confirming earlier reports that the affair was long over when the school officials confronted Reeves last month. Members of the community, some distrustful of Superintendent Wallis due to his reputation as a bully, questioned the timing of the confrontation.

In her statement, Morgan offered an explanation, claiming that Dennis’s wife Tammy Reeves had been continuing to send her aggressive, threatening messages — messages that began in early 2016 while the affair was still going on.

“Mr. Reeves wife became suspicious. In January of 2016 she began contacting me by text and making accusations. Some of them were very angry and vulgar.”

Morgan said that she heard from Tammy Reeves again last month, four days before Dennis Reeves died, when she texted Morgan to tell her that Dennis had confessed to the affair.

“I did not respond to her text.

On May 22, 2017 she sent me another very threatening text. Again, I refused to respond.

I saw postings by Mrs. Reeves on the internet about me. They were very threatening and named me by name. In one post, she was threatening to confront my children and tell them about me. I was afraid that the affair had been made public, and that I would lose my job. I made an appointment to meet with the Superintendent and tell him about the affair to save my job.”

This prompted the meeting between the superintendent, the assistant superintendent, and Mr. Reeves, which took place at the high school while Morgan was writing a statement about her relationship with Mr. Reeves in an office in a school administration building, a few miles away.

According to the Dallas News, attorneys for the school district included specific content from Tammy Reeves’s alleged messages to Morgan in a court filing on Tuesday asking a judge to dissolve the Reeves family’s restraining order to preserve potential evidence and documentation from several school district employees.

In one message, Reeves allegedly said to Morgan: “You realize you’re still alive only because I can’t afford a hitman, right?”

Following Tuesday’s hearing, the Reeves family attorney Chip Ferguson told a different story, claiming that Morgan had continued to pursue Mr. Reeves after the affair ended, and contradicting her claims that she had discouraged Reeves from contacting her.

“There is evidence … that indicates very strongly that she was a constant visitor to the high school campus even though she wasn’t assigned to that campus,” Ferguson said on camera.  “There is evidence that she would show up for other stated reasons but tried to contact Dennis, Mr. Reeves, and his secretary went to the superintendent multiple times to complain about it.”

Sara Leon, the attorney representing the school district, also spoke to local reports at the courthouse, insisting that the school district officials had acted appropriately in confronting Mr. Reeves about the allegations, and that his death was an unexpected tragedy but one caused by Reeves alone.

“If the truth comes out, it will be much more complex than what Mr. Ferguson just described,” she said, presumably referring to the attorney’s insinuations that school officials are responsible for Mr. Reeves’s suicide because they put undue pressure on him.

Leon also said that surveillance cameras in the high school parking lot had been recording around the time of Mr. Reeves’s death and that police had reviewed the footage.

The Kirbyville Police Department had previously told Crime Online that law enforcement had not obtained surveillance footage of the parking lot where Reeves purportedly shot himself, and said at that time that police were not hopeful they would be able to view surveillance footage captured while Reeves was in his truck, because the cameras are motion-activated and may not have been recording at the time.

On Tuesday, Kirbyville Police Chief Paul Brister confirmed to Crime Online that the department had in fact obtained footage of the parking lot.

“We obtained some footage but it wasn’t what we were looking for,” Chief Brister said, explaining that the cameras had only captured Mr. Reeves’s truck itself, but not the principal walking to or from his vehicle.

The police chief also said that the surveillance footage did not capture any activity inside Reeves’s truck.

“We are assuming he was in his truck at that time,” Chief Brister said, while adding that he is confident in the preliminary suicide ruling.
Feature Photo: Facebook/Dennis and Tammy Reeves