Mom demands heroin while in labor, tries to inject with unsanitary needle

The mother say she is now ready to move forward and fight her addiction

A New Hampshire mother has admitted to demanding an injection of heroin and methamphetamine while she was in labor.

The Concord Monitor reports that Felicia Farruggia, 29, of Concord, New Hampshire, as sentenced Wednesday to one year in jail and two years’ probation after pleading guilty to reckless conduct, an enhanced misdemeanor.

As previously reported by Crime Online, Farruggia was arrested in March along with her friend Rhianna Frenette, after a six-month-long investigation of the circumstances surrounding Farruggia’s son’s birth on September 15, 2016.

According to police, Farruggia was in active labor at her apartment, but refused to let friends call for medical attention until she was given drugs.  She convinced Frenette to inject her with the narcotics after two failed attempts made with an unsanitary needle.

When emergency responders arrived at the residence, Farruggia was removed using a carry device, and she gave birth to a baby boy while entering the ambulance. The mother and baby were taken to Concord Hospital, where they were admitted for several days

Although both Farruggia and the child tested positive for drugs such as methamphetamine and amphetamine, neither tested positive for heroin.

The infant is now in state custody.

As reported by the Concord Monitor, Farruggia stated at her plea hearing that she is ready to make changes and move forward with her life as a “different person”:

“Addiction is a horrible disease, one that I will spend the rest of my life fighting. One that for the first time ever I’m ready to fight.”

Farruggia completed a 28-day residential drug treatment program while awaiting the outcome of her case.

The reckless conduct case against Frenette, now 38, is still pending.

The original felony charges against the two women were reduced to misdemeanors after defense attorneys argued successfully that the heroin-filled syringe should not be considered a deadly weapon in this case.

Feature Photo: Concord Police Department