Murderer escaped mental hospital to prove he can ‘act appropriately’

The mental hospital escapee who was serving time for murder said he needed to escape to prove that he could function in society.

Randall Saito, 59, who has been serving time since 1981, said in an interview with a local San Francisco television station that his only option to prove that he could behave in society was to escape, because every time he applied for release, the Hawaii State Hospital and prosecutors made him “sound like a bad guy.”

In a 2000 hearing, prosecutors said Saito “fills all the criteria of a classic serial killer,” and in 2002, Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Jeffrey Albert said Saito is still a threat to the community, according to People.

“He is a psychopathic predator whose mental condition continues to represent a serious danger to the community.”

After having multiple requests denied, Saito decided his only way to prove his good behavior was to escape and show everyone himself.

“I decided I needed to escape and prove that I’m on my own. That I can be out here and act appropriately. Even though I escaped to do it.”

Saito was found not guilty by reason of insanity of the 1979 murder of Sandra Yamashiro. The 59-year-old reportedly chose his victim at random.

Yamashiro’s body was found in her car. She had been stabbed and shot in the face.

The killer said he faked a mental illness to avoid jail time. He was diagnosed with sexual sadism and necrophilia and was committed to the hospital in 1981.

He now said he regrets doing that. He is also very “contrite” about murdering Yamashiro, but isn’t sure what anyone wants him to do about it since he “can’t turn back time,” Fox News reports.

“I regret the murder. Let’s just make that clear. I do have remorse about it. I am absolutely contrite. No one else can be more contrite than I. Because no one is more responsible. What do they want me to do? I can’t turn back time.”

Saito said he “was in bad shape” and was “paranoid” at the time of the murder because of a drug addiction.

He was arrested Wednesday for felony escape after walking out of the hospital and hailing a taxi Sunday. He went to the airport, took a charter plane to Maui, and caught a flight, the cheapest ticket he could find, to San Jose California.

READ more: Extremely dangerous patient escapes psychiatric hospital and flies to California

Saito said he used fake I.D.s for the feat, but wouldn’t name his accomplice. Seven of the hospital’s employees have been placed on unpaid leave during the investigation and the hospital installing more fencing.

Saito is scheduled to appear again in court on Friday.

[Feature Photo: Randall Saito/Maui Police Department]