Stanford University’s one-time swimming phenom is now devoting his time to clearing a criminal record that includes a conviction and six-month jail sentence for sexually assaulting an unconscious woman on campus in 2015.
He was convicted the following year on three felony counts including intent to rape an intoxicated person.
As the Washington Post reported, Brock Turner filed court documents Friday appealing the conviction based on what he deemed misconduct by prosecutors presenting the case against him.
The brief specifically cited a prosecutor’s assertion that the sexual assault occurred behind a dumpster, which was not true and possibly swayed members of the jury.
In reality, Turner argued the incident took place near a trash bin. Describing it as happening behind the receptacle, he argued, sent jurors the signal that he was trying to keep his actions hidden.
The six-month sentence he received was far less than the six years requested by prosecutors, drawing initial backlash against Judge Aaron Persky, who decided the sentence.
As CrimeOnline previously reported, the judge attempted to stem the backlash over his sentencing by putting Turner’s crime in context.
“His life will never be the one that he dreamed about and worked so hard to achieve,” Persky said. “That is a steep price to pay for 20 minutes of action out of his 20-plus years of life.”
He ultimately served only half of that sentence before he was released for good behavior. Nevertheless, Turner wants to see his record wiped clean.
In addition to the alleged “prejudicial” argument by prosecutors, Turner included criticism of Persky for not ensuring the jury considered lesser charges and denying character witnesses from testifying on his behalf.
According to Santa Clara County District Attorney Jeff Rosen, however, Turner’s effort to appeal his conviction in favor of a new trial is futile.
“His conviction will be upheld,” he said. “Nothing can ever roll back Emily Doe’s legacy of raising the world’s awareness about sexual assault.”
If successful, CBS News explains he would no longer be required to register as a sex offender. A new trial, however, could backfire and result in a new conviction.
[Featured image: Brock Turner/Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Office]