Prosecutors treating alleged violent, antisemitic attack by NFL heiress as ‘possible hate crime’

The daughter of former Washington Redskins owner Jack Kent Cooke appeared in court Thursday, one day after she was arrested on suspicion of assault stemming from an incident at a New York City restaurant on New Year’s Eve.

As CrimeOnline previously reported, Jacqueline Kent Cooke was arrested Wednesday after allegedly engaging in an antisemitic verbal attack on a family before striking one man with her glass purse, causing a gash in his head.

During her arraignment Thursday, Assistant District Attorney Jorge Deossa confirmed that the felony charge could be elevated, according to the New York Daily News.

“The people are investigating this case as a possible hate crime,” he said.

The Daily Mail reported that despite facing up to seven years behind bars, she appeared “entirely disinterested in the proceedings” in court.

Attorney Matthew Haberkorn said Cooke became irate when she and her boyfriend were waiting behind his family at the coat checkroom inside the upscale Italian restaurant Carravagio Sunday evening.

“Hurry up, Jew,” the 29-year-old socialite allegedly taunted.

The verbal altercation spilled outside of the restaurant, where Haberkorn claimed it turned physical when Deossa said Cooke hit the attorney “with her purse made of glass.”

Though reports indicate she initially denied even leaving her apartment on the night of the incident, she has since filed her own suit against Haberkorn.

She now denies she made any antisemitic remarks and claims she broke a finger during the incident.

Cooke’s attorney, Rebecca Phipps, argued the defendant only responded physically after Haberkorn “pursued” her after she left the restaurant.

“He was the one who made the first physical contact,” she said.

After Thursday’s hearing, Cooke was released on her own recognizance. She is scheduled to appear in court again next month.

Reporters covering the story awaited her as she left the courthouse. She appeared with her face hidden and rushed into a taxi.

“Stop it,” she pleaded. “Leave me alone!”

[Feature Photo: Jaqueline Cooke, Facebook/Matthew Haberkorn/Handout]