Ad
Ad

Las Vegas shooting victim attorney questions Mandalay Bay claim of ‘normal’ staff interactions with gunman Stephen Paddock

An attorney representing victims of the deadly October 1 shooting massacre in Las Vegas has publicly challenged a recent statement from MGM Resorts that gunman Stephen Paddock interacted with nearly a dozen staffers at the MGM-operated Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino in the days leading up to and including October 1.

As CrimeOnline previously reported, a spokesperson for MGM Resorts gave a statement to the Las Vegas Review-Journal earlier this month confirming that Paddock had interacted with several Mandalay Bay staff members during the week of his stay, and indicated that some had entered his room.

“There were numerous interactions with Stephen Paddock every day at the resort, including a room service delivery and a call with housekeeping on October 1, all of which were normal in nature,” the spokesperson said in an email to the Las Vegas Review-Journal last week.

“Mandalay Bay staff, room service and housekeeping had contact with Paddock or entered his suite more than 10 times over the course of his stay, including the three days leading up to October 1.”

The statement did not offer any further specifics about the nature of the interactions, or the identities of the employees.

An attorney for multiple victims of the shooting massacre, including a college student who suffered a lacerated liver and broken ribs, told Fox News that she didn’t think the statement was adequate, and suggested it may be misleading.

“Their little paragraph of ‘we have normal interaction’ leaves a lot out,” Michelle Simpson Tuegel told Fox News.

“I would like to know what they were classifying or defining as ‘normal behavior.’”

Tuegel said she is working to find out more about these interactions with Paddock, and questioned how it is possible that no one noticed anything was amiss. Paddock reportedly brought in over two dozen weapons to his suite on the 32nd floor of the hotel.

“Why didn’t someone say something when he brought all these bags [with weapons] up?” Tuegel asked.

“[It’s] hard to believe the amount of ammunition and weapons in the room and no one saw or picked up on anything.”

Tuegel told Fox News she is determined to find out what “else these employees have to say about what they saw and heard in the days leading up to the shooting, and what they may have failed to see.”

One Tuesday, several media outlets will appear before a judge, asking the court to unseal numerous warrants related to shooting investigation. According to court filings obtained by CrimeOnline, the petitioners argue that the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department cannot legitimately keep the warrant information from the public on the grounds of an ongoing investigation, as the single suspect in the shooting is deceased and authorities have said he was acting alone.

 

[Feature image: Associated Press/Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino]