David and Louise Turpin remained silent on Weds. as a judge informed them they were barred from trying to contact their children for at least three years.
As CrimeOnline previously reported, David Turpin, 56, and Louise Turpin, 49, appeared at the Riverside Hall of Justice where Judge Emma Smith informed them of a list of stipulations they must follow for at least three years, in accordance with a child protective order which blocks them from contacting any of their 13 children.
“You must not harass, strike, threaten, assault, follow, stalk, molest, destroy or damage property of or disturb the peace of, keep under surveillance or block the entrance of the people listed in the order,” Smith said.
The Turpin couple, charged with numerous felony offenses, including child abuse and torture, remained expressionless and silent throughout most of the hearing. Louise Turpin watched the judge intently, while David Turpin gave a slight nod, acknowledging he understood the stipulations. Both suspects were shackled during the hearing, according to The Press-Enterprise.
“You must not try to get their addresses or locations and must have no electronic, telephone or written communication” the judge continued. “You must not contact them except through your lawyer. You cant use a third party other than your lawyer, including an investigator.”
The judge also banned the couple for purchasing, attempting to purchase, and possessing any firearms should they make their bail, set at $12 million each.
After the hearing, prosecutor Kevin Beechem said that the Turpin parents haven’t attempted to contact their children and that the brief hearing was simply a standard formality.
The Turpin children, ranging in age from 2 to 29, were rescued on Jan. 16 from the family’s “foul-smelling” home in Perris. Police stated that all of the children, aside from the youngest child, were severely malnourished and appeared weak, filthy, and frightened. Several of the victims were reportedly found shackled to furniture inside the home, lying in their own feces and urine.
After providing them food and drinks, authorities took the children to local hospitals, where most of them were treated for severe malnourishment.
Check back with CrimeOnline as additional details become available.
[Feature Photo: David Turpin via AP/Mike Blake, Pool]