The teen suspect accused of opening fire on students and staff members at a Parkland high school on Wednesday apparently told police that “demon” voices in his head told him to do it.
ABC News reports that according to law enforcement sources, 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz reportedly told authorities that demonic voices he heard in his head instructed him on how to plan and carry out the attack at Marjory Stoneman Douglas high school that left 17 people dead.
The suspect, a former student at the school, bought the gun used for the attack just days after his last day as a student at Douglas. School records indicate his last day of attendance was February 11, 2017. Three days later he applied and passed a background check for an AR-15 rifle, then picked it up on February 18.
While attending the high school, Cruz had several disciplinary problems. According to school records, he was involved in an assault incident that resulted in suspension, as well as an assessment after the reported assault, which followed a previous discipline incident a month prior, that also resulted in suspension.
Issues with Cruz also occurred at his home. According to FOX News, police had been called to his home in Parkland 39 times in the past, on issues that stemmed “from domestic disturbance to child/elder abuse.” Shortly before the shooting, Cruz had been living in a mobile home with a friend’s family. Both of his adoptive parents are deceased.
During a court hearing on Thursday, defense lawyer Melisa McNeill described Cruz as a “broken human being” who was remorseful for his actions. The attorney also said that Cruz was fully aware of what he did.
Check back with CrimeOnline as we continue to provide coverage on the case.
Nancy Grace talks with a student who was barricaded in the school during the deadly attack on her show ‘Crime Stories’.
[Feature Photo: Nikolas Cruz/Police Handout]