Even before last week’s deadly mass shooting at a Florida high school, authorities in North Carolina were preparing to file serious charges against a 17-year-old student in that state who allegedly staged a bomb threat aimed at an area school.
According to WSMV, the suspect first made intimidating comments regarding Clover Garden Charter School earlier this month. He was arrested on Feb. 5 on suspicion of threatening to blow up the school.
Alamance County Sheriff Terry Johnson said law enforcement intended to treat the claims seriously.
“Things like this that may come back and really happen and we just can’t turn our back on it,” he said.
As the Burlington Times-News reported at the time, 17-year-old Stephen Lee Dixon was arrested on charges of making a threat against the school via social media. He was initially arrested with bond set at $2,500.
**Please Read**Today we were notified by concerned students that a student was posting inappropriate comments on…
About a week after his arrest, the teen was released on bond. Comments he made as he walked out of custody, Johnson said, only made the teen’s situation worse.
The suspect “just walked out the door” of the jail and made another statement indicating his intention to blow up the school, the sheriff explained.
Reports indicate that threat was made on Monday. The student was again placed behind bars with bond set at $40,000
He is currently being held at Alamance County Jail, where he waits to face charges that Johnson indicated could be severe.
“We’re not going to take chances,” he said, taking the opportunity to advise anyone with thoughts of making similar statements.
“You make a threat, you’re going to be charged,” Johnson asserted.
[Featured image: Pixabay]