A student who was seriously injured in the deadly school shooting in Parkland, Florida, last month has filed a lawsuit against Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School and Broward County to cover the costs of his medical expenses.
The Associated Press reports that Anthony Borges, who was shot five times during the February 14 massacre, has filed notice of his plans to sue the county and the school district to help recover what the Sun Sentinel reports is likely to be over $1 million in medical expenses.
Borges was hailed as a hero by classmates who said he put himself at risk to save others after shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz allegedly opened fire in the freshman building of the school, ultimately killing 17 people.
“By the grace of God he’s not No. 18,” Borges’ attorney Alex Arreaza said in an interview with the Sun Sentinel.
“But it’s going to be a tough recovery … it’s a miracle that we’re even talking about recovery.”
According to the report, Borges remains unable to walk.
Through the attorney, Borges and his parents sent Broward County Administrator Bertha Henry a letter of intent explaining their plans to sue the county, accusing authorities of negligence.
“The failure of Broward County Public Schools, and of the principal and school resource officer to adequately protect students, and in particular our client, from life-threatening harm were unreasonable, callous and negligent,” Arreaza reportedly wrote.
“Such action or inaction led to the personal injuries sustained by my client.”
Borges remains hospitalized, and has reportedly undergone several surgeries since he was shot.
It is not yet known the amount of damages Borges intends to sue for.
[Feature image: Anthony Borges/Associated Press]