Lucas Hernandez: Detective says stepmom was ‘unemotional,’ cut interview short after little boy disappeared while in her care

As the woman who last saw her 5-year-old stepson prepares for an upcoming trial on a child endangerment charge, new details emerged at the Sedgwick County District Court on Friday that sheds additional light on what police say happened in the days before little Lucas Hernandez disappeared.

The Wichita Eagle reports Emily Glass appeared in court for a hearing about a child endangerment charge she’s facing, but details surrounding the disappearance of Lucas surfaced to help explain legal issues that has kept her behind bars on $50,000 bail for a misdemeanor charge. Glass is accused of putting her 1-year-old daughter in danger after allegedly smoking marijuana and driving to an Olive Garden with the little girl. She’s been behind bars since February.

Emily Glass [KAKE screenshot]
According to detectives, Glass admitted during an interview that the day before Lucas disappeared, she smoked marijuana in the garage of her rented home in Wichita, then left Lucas at the home alone while she took her toddler daughter to the restaurant. Initially, police charged her with two counts of child endangerment, but later dropped one of the charges.

Glass allegedly told police that on February 17, the day after her Olive Garden trip, Lucas disappeared while she took a nap. Police have maintained that they have no evidence to suggest that the little boy left on his own and in turn, have been questioning Glass and her version of what happened.

During the first interview on February 18, according to Wichita police Detective Ryan Schomaker, Glass cut the session short, left the interview room and refused to answer additional questions. On February 19, Lucas’ father, Jonathan Hernandez, sent a text message to detectives and said Glass wanted to talk. Hernandez then drove his girlfriend back to City Hall, where Glass gave another interview to detectives in a police interview room.

It’s unclear what was said during the second interview, but Schomaker testified that an FBI agent was present during the interview.

On February 20, Glass returned again for a third interview. After authorities read her her rights, she wrote a six-page account of  “every step” she took the day prior and the day of Lucas’ disappearance. On February 21, Glass had a final interview and authorities made the decision to arrest her on child endangerment charges.

Schomaker described Glass as being “not emotional” during her interviews. He also explained that the FBI came in to assist given the severity of the situation. Glass allegedly fell asleep during the course of one of the interviews.

During Friday’s hearing, it was revealed that a neighbor stopped by Glass’ home on February 17 and spotted Lucas inside. They spoke back and forth but it’s unclear what was said.

Timeline of Lucas Hernandez Disappearance

February 18

Kansas police are searching for a 5-year-old boy last seen in his Wichita home on Saturday afternoon, and are asking the public for any known information about his whereabouts.

The Wichita Eagle reports that Lucas Hernandez was last seen on Saturday at around 3 p.m. at his home off of the 600 block of south Edgemoor, near Lincoln. According the the Missing Pieces Network, a non-profit organization that assists in finding missing persons, the father’s girlfriend was taking care of Lucas and his toddler sister when he vanished. She apparently took a nap at around 3 p.m., when Lucas was napping, but when she woke up, he was missing and the back door of the home was open.

Lucas’ father, who drove home after learning the boy was missing, said that all of his son’s belongings, including his shoes and jacket, were still in the home. The child’s biological mother was reportedly in the another state when he disappeared.

Lucas is described 4 feet tall and weighs around 60 pounds. He has brown hair and brown eyes, and was last seen wearing white socks, black pants, and a grey shirt with a teddy bear on the front. He also has a cleft palate and a speech impediment. His family reported that it’s not typical for the boy to wander off.Anyone with any information is urged to contact 911 immediately.

February 19

As Kansas authorities enter their third day of searching for a little boy who disappeared on Saturday from his Wichita home, family members are speaking out over past concerns regarding the child’s welfare.

The Wichita Eagle reports that 5-year-old Lucas Hernandez was reported missing on Saturday evening at around 6:15 p.m. The child’s stepmother, 26, told authorities she last saw the boy at 3 p.m., when she put him down for a nap, then took a nap herself with her infant daughter. The boy’s father was at work when the incident occurred, while his biological mother was in another state.

Sally Rasmussen, Lucas’ great aunt, told the outlet that she got in touch with the the Kansas Department for Children and Families (DCF) last year after over concerns regarding the little boy’s care. Lucas’ great grandmother, Jeannie Houchin, said that DCF was investigating the incident, although the exact details of what prompted the call to social services in the first place remains unclear.

As CrimeOnline previously reported, Lucas disappeared from his family home off of the 600 block of south Edgemoor, near Lincoln. He’s described 4 feet tall and weighs around 60 pounds. He has brown hair and brown eyes, and was last seen wearing white socks, black pants, and a grey shirt with a teddy bear on the front. He also has a cleft palate and a speech impediment. His family reported that it’s not typical for the boy to wander off.Officer Charley Davidson stated on Sunday that authorities searched the home and surrounding areas, but so far, haven’t had luck locating Lucas. There were no signs of a home break-in and nothing inside the residence was out of place.

Authorities also concentrated on the area around Chisholm Creek Park near 29th and Oliver, but haven’t made any announcements since then. As of Monday morning, Lucas still remains missing. Police announced the FBI is assisting in the search for Lucas, and they are not asking for the public’s help in search efforts. Instead, they encourage the public to share the boy’s flyer.

February 21 

As the search for 5-year-old Kansas boy Lucas Hernandez reaches its fourth day, his father is speaking out, hoping to have his son home safe as soon as possible.

“We miss and love him with all our hearts. We just want our baby boy home with us again safe,” Lucas’ dad told CrimeOnline.

Lucas was last seen on Saturday at around 3 p.m. at his home off of the 600 block of south Edgemoor, near Lincoln in Wichita. The father’s girlfriend was taking care of Lucas and his younger sister when he vanished. She apparently took a shower and then nap at around 3 p.m., while Lucas also napped, but when she woke up, the back door of the home was open and the little boy was nowhere in sight.

The boy’s dad said Lucas was shy and soft-spoken and generally would not approach strangers. He also told CrimeOnline that Lucas has a speech impediment and although it may be difficult for people who don’t know him to understand his speech, the boy is capable of communicating and calling out for help.

“His speech is different than a normal 5-year-old, because he does have a cleft palate. He speaks well but hard to understand him if you aren’t used to his speech. Anyone should be able to understand him if they listen closely to what he’s saying. He can call for help, yell, scream etc. Everything with his voice is just fine.”

Lucas’ father, who drove home from an out-of-town work site after learning the boy was missing, said that all of his son’s belongings, including his shoes and jacket, were still in the home. The child’s biological mother was reportedly in another state when he disappeared. Lucas lives in Wichita full-time with his dad, his dad’s girlfriend, and a younger toddler sister.

February 21

The stepmother of missing 5-year-old Kansas boy, Lucas Hernandez, was arrested on Wednesday afternoon on child endangerment charges.

According to the Sedgwick County Sheriff’s Office, 26-year-old Emily Glass is charged with two counts of child endangerment. So far, little details are available surrounding details of the arrest, but local station KAKE reported that the child’s grandmother gave the station photos of Lucas with bruises on his back and arms.

[Photo: KAKE video screenshot]

The grandmother stated that family members contacted social services and reported abuse in the past in another state, but nothing had yet been done about it to her knowledge.**UPDATE**On Monday, Glass was formally charged with one felony count of child endangerment, in connection with her 1-year-old daughter. The incident reportedly occurred prior to Lucas’ disappearance and authorities have reason to believe drugs were involved.

February 23

Kansas authorities returned to Chisholm Creek Park in Wichita on Friday, after receiving a new tip regarding missing 5-year-old, Lucas Hernandez, who disappeared six days ago.

“Information we have received during the investigation has led us to Chisholm Creek Park area,” Officer Charley Davidson with the Wichita PD said, according to The Wichita Eagle. “And we will be searching that area.”

Both entrances to the park have been blocked off while numerous officers were spotted conducting what was likely a detailed grid search of the area. The Sedgwick County Sheriff’s Office, along with the FBI, are currently assisting with the search.

February 28 

Since the day Lucas Hernandez disappeared on February 17, his stepmother, Emily Glass, has been in the hot seat, given that she was the last person to see the boy. While sitting in jail on a child endangerment charge, she opened to a local Wichita reporter about Lucas’ disappearance, publicly for the first time.

FactFinder12 Investigator Devon Fasbinder spoke with Glass, 26, on Wednesday afternoon, in hopes of getting information that would help find the boy, whose been since missing for 11 days. Glass previously told police she took a shower and then a nap at around 3 p.m. on the day in question. She said when she woke up, the back door of the family home in Wichita was open and Lucas was nowhere in sight. He’s still missing.

When Fasbinder asked Glass if she hurt Lucas in any way, she denied it and said she would never harm him and has no idea where he is.

“I did not. I would never hurt my son…..He’s like a son, you know? I may not have given birth to him, but he’s my baby boy. I take care of him every day, you know?”

Shortly after Lucas’ disappearance, the boy’s great aunt, Sherry Rasmussen, handed over photos of him to KAKE News, which showed numerous bruises on various parts of his body. Rasmussen said the bruises were likely from physical abuse, and that she reported it to the Department of Children’s Services, yet nothing was ever done to protect Lucas.

Glass said that the bruises were not from abuse, but instead, the results of Lucas playing too roughly and being a little boy.

“There’s been times he’s being a boy and playing with older brothers and his cousins. He gets bruises. He has had some falls,” Glass explained.

“A majority of the time when he had gotten hurt and ended up with bruises, he wasn’t under my care,” she continued. “Because I would send him off with my cousins and there’s older boys there and he’s a very little, small boy and he could get hurt easily and when he’s playing with older boys who are like 10 years old, even though we’d say hey Lucas be careful. We had to tell him all the time you know, be careful.”

Glass also said she isn’t concerned with the people who think she hurt Lucas. She claimed it was “on them” and the only thing she is concerned about is finding the child. She also explained that two strangers stood outside her home a few days before Lucas disappeared, which she “kept thinking about” after Lucas disappeared.

She said she didn’t know the people and when she offered them assistance, they acted offended. In turn, she reportedly took a photo of the pair send sent it to Johnathan Hernandez, Lucas’ father.

“I keep thinking and I keep thinking what could have happened, you know. And I keep thinking back to these two people that were outside of my house a few days prior. A black man and white woman….I went out there to be like hey is everything okay? Do you need to come inside? Are you stranded? They were just like, no and just like looked at me like I offended them or something.”

Authorities couldn’t verify any details involving the photo since the investigation is still ongoing.

March 7

The founder of Texas EquiSearch, a search team who assisted in the mission to locate missing Kansas boy, Lucas Hernandez, said that the search for Lucas is eerily similar to the search his team carried out in 2008 while searching for Caylee Anthony.

“This feels way too familiar and unfortunately I think there’s one person who knows, and they just aren’t saying anything. So everyone is working as hard as they can,” Texas EquuSearch founder, Tim Miller, told KWCH12. “After we went to Caylee’s funeral I said I never want to do one of these cases again, and right now it appears as though we are here.”

Miller and his team went to Wichita to help search for 5-year-old Lucas last week. They haven’t uncovered anything yet, but the search team recently paused their search efforts for Lucas in order to concentrate on another missing persons case. They noted on their Facebook page that they will likely resume the search for Lucas at a later time.

Caylee Anthony, 3, disappeared in 2008 after her mother, Casey Anthony led police on by saying that she left her little girl with what turned out to be a fictional nanny, among other various explanations. Caylee’s disappearance spurred a large-scale search effort, withTexas EquuSearch assisting authorities and numerous other volunteers. Miller became so involved in the search that he attended Caylee’s funeral after her remains were found near her grandparent’s home in Orlando.

In the meantime, Miller couldn’t disclose the locations where his team searched for Lucas due to the ongoing investigation. The little boy remains missing as authorities enter day 19 of their investigation into his disappearance. Miller indicated that the likely outcome of finding Lucas will be the same as it was for Caylee.

“We don’t sugarcoat anything, if Lucas is found he certainly is not going to be found the way we want him to be found, and I think the most we can hope for right now is to one day very soon go to a funeral.”

March 13

The father of a missing 5-year-old Kansas boy is standing by his girlfriend as she remains behind bars on a child endangerment charge, at least unless he hears otherwise that she was in some way involved in the disappearance of his son.

“I am standing by her until either some other information comes out or something about the case breaks,” Jonathan Hernandez, the father of 5-year-old Lucas Hernandez, told The Wichita Eagle. “If it involves her, obviously it would be different. Obviously, my thoughts would be changing if she was implicated in any way involving Lucas.”

Emily Glass, Hernandez’s girlfriend, is currently behind bars for one misdemeanor count of child endangerment, stemming from an incident involving the couple’s 1-year-old daughter. Little details are known about the charge since the investigation is still open, but Glass reportedly smoked marijuana while caring for her toddler daughter. A judge set Glass’ bond at $50,000, an amount she’s hoping to get reduced. Should she make bond, Hernandez said he would welcome her back home.

“Everybody has to be innocent until they’re proven guilty….I realize it’s frustrating for the public not to know.”

May 10

The father of a missing Kansas boy was arrested in Wichita for child battery in an unrelated case on Wednesday.

The Wichita Eagle reports that Jonathan Hernandez, father of missing 5-year-old Lucas Hernandez, is facing battery charges after he reportedly hit his girlfriend’s 6-year-old son on February 5,  a few weeks before his own son disappeared. According to court documents, he “smacked” the child so hard in the chest that it left a mark, prompting the boy’s biological father to file a complaint against Hernandez.

Court documents also indicate that the alleged incident occurred when Glass’ two sons were at her home and started playing with air freshener. The boys live with their biological father but were over at Glass and Hernandez’s home during a scheduled visitation when Hernandez pushed and smacked one of the boys after he reportedly sprayed the air freshener without permission. A DCF social worker and the Sedgwick County Exploited and Missing Child Unit investigated the allegation.

Jonathan Hernandez mugshot
Jonathan Hernandez/Sedgwick County Detention Center

Hernandez appeared in court on Wednesday morning and was booked into Sedgwick County Detention Center afterward on a $2,500 bond, but bailed out shortly after. He’s scheduled back in court on May 23.

Meanwhile, Hernandez’s girlfriend, Emily Glass, remains behind bars an an unrelated child endangerment charge. Glass, reportedly the last person to see Lucas before he disappeared, was arrested on February 26 for allegedly putting her 1-year-old daughter in harm’s way after she smoked marijuana and drove to a Wichita Olive Garden with the little girl. Glass admitted she left Lucas at home alone while she went to the restaurant, yet she said the boy didn’t disappear until the following day on February 17.

Lucas still has not been found. Glass maintained that on February 17, she took a nap at around 3 p.m. and when she woke up, the back door in the family home off of South Edgemoor was wide open. She said she searched for Lucas but couldn’t find him. Wichita police indicated that they saw no evidence that the little boy disappeared on his own.

Anyone with any information on Lucas’ whereabout should contact 911 immediately.

Check back with CrimeOnline as additional details become available.

[Feature Photo: Lucas Hernandez/Handout]