Ad

Cops hospitalized after ingesting chemical suspected of killing man in hotel room

Three Georgia police officers required medical treatment recently after they responded to a call at a local motel.

Firefighters were the first to arrive at the scene where a man was believed to be incapacitated in a third-floor room. Police arrived minutes later.

Shortly after entering the room at the United Inn & Suites sometime after 4 p.m. on Saturday, all of the officers demonstrated symptoms of an illness.

According to WAGA, strong chemical odor was also present at the DeKalb County motel.

Other guests were soon evacuated and the business was locked down as officials investigated the incident.

The three officers were treated at an area hospital as a precaution and all have since been released, as reported by Fox News.

Nevertheless, some guests expressed concern about a situation they say was not fully explained.

“The police were telling us to leave,” one individual on the scene said. “We’ve been out of our room for three hours. What was really the cause?”

Authorities did not identify the deceased guest, describing him only as a 48-year-old black male. His body is expected to undergo a medical examination.

His remains, as well as officer equipment and other items in contact with the scene, had to be decontaminated to prevent the potential that a harmful chemical could spread.

As of the latest reports available, authorities were still unsure of the cause.

Officials examined the scene and found nothing suspicious, reporting only a “combination of household cleaning solutions.”

The incident remains under investigation.

[Featured image: AP photo/John Amis]