Lucas Hernandez mystery: Shocking details emerge, ‘stepmom’ Emily Glass found dead in PJs in back room with AR-15 gunshot wound to head

Rolled up suicide note wedged inside engagement ring

As the public awaits to hear the official cause of the death in the case of 5-year-old Kansas boy Lucas Hernandez, his father, Jonathan Hernandez, says he’s living a daily nightmare after he not only lost his only son, but walked in on his former girlfriend after she reportedly shot and killed herself in their Wichita home.

In an exclusive interview with CrimeOnline, Hernandez explained to Nancy Grace the details of the day leading up to him walking inside his rented home and finding Emily Glass, his former girlfriend and person of interest in the death of Lucas, lying on the floor with a gunshot wound to her head.

Grace: “Others suggest it wasn’t a suicide at all. What do you think happened, Jonathan? Tell us about the evening you found her dead.”

Hernandez: “I didn’t notice any unusual behavior from her that day. She was, you know, pretty normal I guess, over text messaging. And then, you know, later on that evening, I had stayed out a little bit late to be able to go to my friend’s house, so I figured I would go stay at my house that night and I tried to text her [Emily] and she didn’t respond, so I thought maybe she was asleep…I thought she was at her father’s or at the house. I wasn’t really sure. It turns out she was at the house….” 

Hernandez explained that after Glass led private investigator David Marshburn to Lucas’ remains on May 24, most of her family felt betrayed and wouldn’t allow her to stay with them. Hernandez stated that since Glass was still considered a resident of the house, and since he was staying with a friend temporarily at the time, he decided not to put up a fight to kick her out. However, he never expected to find her dead during the early morning hours on June 8.

Hernandez said he spoke to Glass via text for the last time on June 7 at around 7:30 p.m. He stated Glass sent messages about the “drama” surrounding Lucas’ case and how she hoped it would “die down” soon, but she never gave any indication that she planned to harm herself.

Jonathan, Lucas, and baby Mia [Handout]

“The lights were on and the TV was on and it looked like, you know, somebody was there. I go to the bedroom and she’s not there, so I go out to the garage and check to see if her car was there…..Her car was there in the garage so I went back inside and did a more thorough room by room search. That’s when I found her in the back bedroom.”

Grace: “When you found her, was she dressed? Was she lying in bed? What was the condition of her body?”

Hernandez: “She was dressed. It looked like she had pajamas on.”

Grace: “At first did you just believe she was asleep?”

Hernandez: “No I did not. I thought it was a dream. I wasn’t sure what was happening at first.”

The grieving father explained he could tell almost right away that Glass had killed herself after shooting herself in the head. After spotting her, he walked out of the room, took a few deep breaths, then walked back to make sure what he saw was really happening. He said he then ran out and dialed 911.

According to Hernandez, Glass apparently took his AR-15 assault rifle out of his gun case and took it with her into a back sunroom. When Hernandez found her, there were several cigarettes butts by her feet, along with the gun and the gun case.

Hernandez also confirmed that authorities told him Glass left three suicide notes behind. Hernandez himself didn’t see the notes and detectives didn’t tell him where they found them. They did, however, tell him that one of the notes had been rolled up and stuck inside her an engagement ring, with a message that indicated Glass wanted to Mia, their toddler daughter, to have the ring when she got older.

Meanwhile, Hernandez is still living at the house he found Emily deceased in; it’s also the same house his son was last seen alive in. Since media has heavily shared the location of the residence, Hernandez said people are taking it upon themselves to snoop and watch his every move, even posting in Facebook “sleuth” groups when he’s in his back yard or when he’s inside the home.

He stated a rumor started that something “fishy” was going on after someone watched him clean sticks up in his yard, which sparked speculation that he was somehow involved in his son’s death. Others, Hernandez said, tried to take photos of him while driving by the house.

This constant intrusions resulted in Hernandez avoiding the public as much as possible while desperately trying to find a way to move to another residence. Yet, he said he already missed close to a month of work, as his current job requires him to travel out of states for weeks at a time. With his son’s memorial coming up and with the ongoing investigation, Hernandez said it’s not possible for him to leave the state for work.

Hernandez also wants to find new line of work so that he can stay local and try to get custody of his daughter, who’s currently in state care until he can provide a stable household.

Cyndi Norman, Hernandez’s mother, set up a GoFundMe fundraiser for her son, in hopes that she can raise enough money to help Hernandez find a new home and provide a fresh start for himself and his daughter. He’ll need funds for moving expenses, including deposits, first and last month’s rent, a moving truck, utilities, and insurance.

“It’s very difficult. I have nightmares some nights. I can’t sleep. It’s hard to go anywhere,” Hernandez explained. “It’s a really heavy, heavy weight to carry”

Click here to donate to the “Jonathan and Mia” fundraiser and for additional information.

[Feature Photo: Jonathan Hernandez, Lucas Hernandez, Emily Glass./Handout;Twitter]