Ad
Ad

Limo operator charged with crash that killed 20 people had his bags packed when police found him: Report

A man arrested for the deaths of 20 people after a limousine from his company crashed, was allegedly caught with packed bags in his car when New York police pulled him over and arrested him Wednesday.

The operator of the New York-based Prestige Limo rental company, 28-year-old Nauman Hussain, was caught with the packed bags when authorities pulled him over near Albany, according to Schoharie County District Attorney Susan Mallery.

ABC10 reports that Hussain’s lawyer, Lee Kindlon, however, said the suspect was simply trying to get away from threats that became recurrent after the public learned he was the operator of the limousine company that allegedly allowed an unlicensed driver to drive an unsafe limousine.

How do you protect your children from predators? Join Nancy Grace and a team of world class experts for the online course ‘Justice Nation: Crime Stops Here’.

“He [Hussain] felt as though he could be in danger at that house, so at that moment he was just leaving and didn’t really have a plan other than getting away,” Kindlon said. “You can imagine what people would say in a situation like this.  will not give dignity to those individuals who would think they have some sort of power over this case.”

As CrimeOnline previously reported, 20 people lost their lives on October 6 when a limousine lost control after driving through a stop sign in Schoharie, around 35 miles west of Albany. The out-of-control limousine was carrying 18 people when it crashed into a cafe parking lot, hitting another vehicle and killing two bystanders.

New York State Police Superintendent George Beach stated that Hussain was “solely responsible” for allowing the an unsafe limousine on the road, which had reportedly failed a required inspection and deemed as unserviceable in September.

Kindon said his client is not guilty and only handled phone calls and marketing with the business, according to The State. Hussain pleaded not guilty to criminally negligent homicide and left jail after posting $150,000 bond and turning over his passport.

The story continues to develop. Check back with CrimeOnline as additional details become available.

Join Nancy Grace for her new video series new online video series designed to help you protect what you love most – your children.

[Feature Photo: Nauman Hussain via Ap/Hans Pennink]