‘Empire’ actor Jussie Smollett does not appear to be in any hurry to speak to Chicago detectives about the purported attack against him last month, which is looking more and more as though it may have been staged.
As CrimeOnline previously reported, Chicago police spokesperson Anthony Guglielmi said this weekend that authorities were seeking to interview Smollett, after the investigation reportedly found that Smollett allegedly paid for the rope used in the alleged assault, and may have paid two brothers $4,000 a piece to orchestrate the assault, which Smollett had characterized as a hate crime.
The two brothers were detained last week and have been reportedly released from custody. According to multiple reports, the brothers claimed that they along with Smollett rehearsed the attack three days before it took place, 0n January 29.
But as of Monday, Smollett has not made arrangements to speak to police, a spokesperson for his attorneys said.
“There are no plans for Jussie Smollett to meet with Chicago police today,” the spokesperson said in an email to CBS News on Monday.
“Smollett’s attorneys will keep an active dialogue going with Chicago police on his behalf. We have no further comment today.”
The attorneys reportedly said in a statement to CBS News that Smollett was nothing more than a victim of the alleged attack, and that he did not have a previous relationship with the men accused of assaulting him:
“As a victim of a hate crime who has cooperated with the police investigation, Jussie Smollett is angered and devastated by recent reports that the perpetrators are individuals he is familiar with. He has now been further victimized by claims attributed to these alleged perpetrators that Jussie played a role in his own attack. Nothing is further from the truth and anyone claiming otherwise is lying.
CrimeOnline will provide further updates as more information becomes available.
[Feature image: AP File photo/Dennis Van Tine/STAR MAX/IPx 2018]