R. Kelly has pleaded not guilty to 10 charges of criminal sex abuse as he remains in custody on a $1 million bond.
CBS Chicago reports that Kelly pleaded not guilty to all charges on Monday morning at the Leighton Criminal Court in Chicago. As CrimeOnline previously reported, the charges are connected to four alleged vicitms; three of the four were teens between the ages of 13 and 16 at the time of the allegations.
Outside the courthouse, attorney Michael Avenatti, who is reportedly representing one of those victims, addressed the sex tapes that allegedly show Kelly with a 14-year-old girl. Avenatti had provided one tape to prosecutors in mid-February, and said via Twitter on Monday morning that there was a second tape with the same victim, allegedly showing Kelly choking and sodomizing the teen girl and turning her face to the camera.
“It leaves no question as to Mr. Kelly’s guilt,” Avenatti said, according to CBS Chicago.
“On the tape, Mr. Kelly repeatedly refers to the victim as having a 14-year-old body part; a vagina, although that is not the word that he uses on the tape.”
Kelly was ordered held on $1 million bail on Friday, and will be granted a conditional release if and when he pays 10 percent of the deposit bond in cash. Kelly’s lawyer Steven Greenberg said over the weekend that his client’s finances were a “mess,” and Kelly has yet to come up with the bail money to secure his release from custody.
“This all happened on Friday. He wasn’t really prepared. He was surprised. Then Saturday, by the time we went to bond court, banks were closed,” Greenberg said Monday, according to the news station.
Kelly is expected to post bail at some point Monday, the lawyer reportedly said.