Hospital bed teddy bear

Tot boy falls into scalding water & dies days later, after mom leaves 35-quart pot of boiling water on floor: Report

A 2-year-old boy passed away over the weekend after accidentally falling into a pot of boiling water his mother prepared 10 days earlier.

DailyMail reports that Ivan Maletych was being prepared for transportation to the Shriners Hospital for Children in Boston, from his hometown in Susidovychi, Ukraine, but passed away before the transport took place. The boy had burns on 70% of his body and despite massive efforts by local physicians, he lost his life almost two weeks after the incident.

According to the outlet, Ivan’s mother, Ivanna Maletych, told police she heated water in a 35-quart cooking pot, then put the pot on the kitchen floor before she went grocery shopping. Maletych, a mother of four, said her husband was in the yard and her oldest son was watching television when Ivan wandered into the kitchen.

How do you protect your children from predators? Join Nancy Grace and a team of world class experts for the online course ‘Justice Nation: Crime Stops Here’.

Two-year-old boy dies ten days after falling into a cooking pot filled with hot water while his mother cleaned clothes…

Posted by ‎موسوعة المعرفة‎ on Friday, May 3, 2019

 

“Ivan was playing in the house while his elder brother was watching cartoons. I think he entered the kitchen and accidentally fell into the cooking pot of boiling water. My husband was in the courtyard near the house. He heard screams and rushed to our son.”

Ivanna explained to local Ukraine outlet LMN that the family doesn’t have a washing machine, and she was planning to wash their clothes by hand in the water. It’s something that she had done routinely in the past without issues.

“I warmed the water to wash clothes. We do not have a washing machine, so I do everything with my hands, it’s a habitual thing.”

Ivan was rushed to a Lviv Burn Centre Hospital and placed in the intensive care unit shortly after the incident. From the beginning, physicians said the boy’s chances of survival were slim, and ultimately made arrangements to fly him to Boston for additional care.

“The boy was in a critical condition. He was receiving mechanical ventilation,” head deputy of the hospital’s emergency department, Victor Pyzhevsky, reportedly said.

Ivan’s mother said she blames herself for what happened to the boy. She’s reportedly having a hard time coming to grips with her son’s accident, and now, death.

“From the moment they began to make the bandage, it went out, because I can not look, my heart is stinging,” Ivanna said.

Police are treating the boy’s death as accidental. No charges have been filed.

Join Nancy Grace for her new online video series designed to help you protect what you love most – your children.

[Feature Photo: Pixabay]