Disgraced comedian Bill Cosby is acting from behind bars to drop an ongoing court battle against seven sexual assault accusers.
As CrimeOnline has previously reported, the 81-year-old is serving up to a decade in prison for the 2005 sexual assault of Andrea Constand.
According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, a related civil case involving a group of women claiming similar abuse has now concluded with his recent move.
Records indicate Cosby settled the defamation lawsuit last month, though a spokesperson said at the time that he still planned to countersue.
“Mr. Cosby did not settle any cases with anyone,” Andrew Wyatt said in April. “He is not paying anything to anyone.”
The imprisoned entertainer had cast insurance provider AIG as lone actor in settling the matters, as his spokesperson claimed “without the knowledge, permission and/or consent of Mr. Cosby.”
An attorney for the seven women acknowledged the development in an interview on Friday.
“The clients are happy that Mr. Cosby has dismissed his counterclaims against them,” Joseph Cammarata said. “This brings this matter to an end.”
As of the latest updates available, Cosby’s legal team had not revealed a reason for his decision to withdraw the countersuit.
Several other women have unrelated active complaints against Cosby, including a defamation suit filed by model Janice Dickinson and claims of sexual battery and assault by other alleged victims.
[Featured image: AP Photo/Matt Slocum]