Days before a Maryland couple was found dead in their Dominican Republic hotel room, a Pennsylvania woman died suddenly at the very same hotel — from the same condition.
Fox News reports that Miranda Schaup-Werner, 41, died after having a drink from the minibar at the Bahia Principe Hotel in La Romana on May 25 — the same day that Edward Holmes and Cynthia Day arrived for their vacation. They would be found dead five days later in their hotel room.
According to multiple reports, authorities in the Dominican Republic have said that all three died of respiratory failure and pulmonary embolism. Day and Holmes reportedly had blood pressure medication in their hotel room, along with prescription painkillers, and authorities are continuing to investigate their deaths.
Fox News obtained a statement from the hotel confirming the death of Schaup-Werner, a psychotherapist from Allentown who was vacationing with her husband.
“Mrs. Schaup Werner, who was a guest of Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville, was found unresponsive in her room on May 25,” the statement said. “Following established protocols, the hotel doctor responded immediately and coordinated her transfer to Hospiten Santo Domingo. Unfortunately, Mrs. Schaup passed away in the room prior.”
According to Fox News, the hotel also said that Schaup Werner was believed to have had a pre-existing heart condition, based on information her husband is said to have given authorities following her death.
The U.S. State Department also gave a statement confirming all three tourist deaths.
“We can confirm the recent deaths of three U.S. citizens in La Romana, the Dominican Republic — Nathaniel Edward Holmes, Cynthia Ann Day, and Miranda Shaup-Werner. We offer our sincerest condolences to the families for their loss. The U.S. Embassy is actively monitoring the investigations by Dominican authorities into these tragic deaths. We stand ready to provide assistance as requested.”
“The U.S. Department of State and our embassies and consulates abroad have no greater responsibility than the protection of U.S. citizens overseas. Out of respect to the family during this difficult time, we have no further comment.”
According to the report, the relatives of all three Americans are questioning the circumstances of their deaths. A spokesperson for Shaup-Werner’s family told the Daily Mail they are concerned that the medical examination does not appear to have included a toxicology test. The spokesperson, Jay McDonald, said the family was concerned that Shaup-Werner was poisoned, and her drink or her glass were not tested.
“We don’t understand what’s going on here,” McDonald told the Daily Mail. “We have big questions.”
This is a developing story. CrimeOnline will provide further updates when more information is available.
[Feature image: Miranda Schaup-Werner and husband/Facebook]