As the number of reported deaths and illnesses among vacationers in the Dominican Republic, one recent traveler is sharing his story in hopes of keeping people from experiencing what he said was a nightmare trip.
“Don’t go,” he urged others considering a trip to the country. “Just don’t go.”
According to the New York Post, Jerry Martin visited the Caribe Club Princess Beach Resort and Spa in Punta Cana with his wife on May 17.
Multiple resorts in the Caribbean country have been linked to multiple deaths and illnesses, as previously reported by CrimeOnline.
As for Martin, he reported feeling “fire” in his stomach while visiting the resort’s pool.
“Pain, excruciating pain,” he said. “We were down at the pool when it hit, and I had to go up and just lay down and hold my stomach.”
Though Martin has no evidence that his illness was directly linked to the deaths that occurred a short time later, he made it clear that he wouldn’t have visited the country in the first place if he’d heard about such cases. The first of those deaths occurred the day after Martin’s vacation ended.
The Florida resident said the rest of his week in the Dominican Republic was ruined and he remains afraid for his own well-being.
Upon returning home, he reportedly went to an emergency room. In the weeks since, Martin said he has been back to the hospital five more times and continues to lose weight.
“I told my wife we won’t go out of the country again,” he said.
[Featured image: Jerry Martin, Facebook]