A baby is dead after dog who attacked before mauls him again. Three people face homicide, manslaughter charges

A grand jury indicted three people Monday in connection with the brutal mauling of a Kentucky boy, who passed away after a dog named “King” attacked him at his own home.

Courier-Journal reports that 2-year-old Isaiah Geiling was attacked on May 2 at a home off of the 3800 block of Grand Avenue in Louisville. The dog’s owners, Jack Charping Jr., 50, and Sharon Charping, 54, lived in the home with King, along with Isaiah’s mother, 25-year-old Jennifer Geiling.

According to Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney Jeff Cooke, the dog owners are facing manslaughter charges and Geiling is facing a reckless homicide charge.

How do you protect your children from predators? Join Nancy Grace and a team of world-class experts for the online course ‘Justice Nation: Crime Stops Here’.

A little after noon on the day in question, the boy’s grandmother, Cynthia Coy, ran to a neighbor’s house and frantically knocked on their door for help. The neighbor, Shelby Chadwell, told local station WDRB that he ran over to the boy’s home with his cousin and found the dog on top of the child.

“It was a ferocious dog,” Chadwell explained. “And we had to get the dog out of the room. So my cousin used sticks and bashed them together and scared the dog away. And we put the dresser in the hallway to block the dog off and get out of there.”

“He was barely breathing on the floor, a lot of blood, face down. It was the worst. It’s not something I want to relive.”

First responders arrived shortly after and performed CPR, then rushed Isaiah to Norton Children’s Hospital. A little over an hour later, the boy died.

The charges come after authorities learned that this was not the first time the dog attacked Isaiah. Three weeks prior to the most recent incident, the dog attacked the boy and injured the child’s ear, according to Coy.

“About three weeks ago, he had attacked him and got his ear,” Coy told CBS WLKY. “We even have a picture of it. So, obviously, the dog has attacked him before. Why it happened again, I’m not aware.”

Another neighbor reportedly said the dog was a safety concern and had tried to jump the fence and get into their yard on previous occasions.

Louisville Metro Animal Services quarantined the dog for 10 days, but it’s unclear if the dog has been euthanized.

The story is developing. Check back with CrimeOnline as additional details become available.

For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast. Here is a related episode. 

Join Nancy Grace for her new online video series designed to help you protect what you love most – your children.

[Feature Photo: Isaiah Geiling/Facebook]