Dad sets daughter on fire, killing her inside home. Cops heard screams but couldn’t get inside: Police

A Minnesota man is behind bars after he allegedly set his daughter on fire inside a mobile home, following a reported argument.

The Stamford Advocate reports that John Newport, 46, has been charged with murder in connection with the death of 22-year-old Jamey Newport. According to police, Jayme Newport called 911 on Tuesday evening and said her father threatened to set their Paynesville home, off of Minnie Street, on fire.

While still on the phone with dispatchers, Jayme reportedly started screaming for help. The dispatcher requested assistance and said the suspect poured gasoline “all over the ho0use and on the kids and the animals.”

According to police, Jamey was the only person inside the home. It’s unclear whether any animals were harmed.

How do you protect your children from predators? Join Nancy Grace and a team of world-class experts for the online course ‘Justice Nation: Crime Stops Here’.

Got some pictures of the babies today ❤️ ft Ellie 💕

Posted by Jamey Newport on Tuesday, July 23, 2019


An officer arrived at the home and spotted black smoke rising and John Newport standing outside of a window, yelling to his daughter, who was still inside. The responding officer, who said he heard screaming coming from the mobile home, attempted to go inside but it became engulfed in flames.

“I can hear screaming but I can’t get in there,” the officer said.

The officer restrained the suspect as firefighters arrived to douse the flames. The police report indicated the suspect had blood on his hands and arms and was covered in soot.

According to West Central Tribune, firefighters pulled Jamey Newport out of the home. They attempted CPR before rushing her to the CentraCare Hospital in Paynesville, where she was officially pronounced dead.

The Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office stated that the victim’s the cause of death was “inhalation of products of combustion.” Her death was listed as a homicide.

According to court documents, John Newport took to Facebook prior to the incident and wrote that he planned to burn his home down. According to prosecutors, the pair had gotten into an argument shortly before the incident.

Police later found accelerant and a gas tank by the front door.

“Officers located a Facebook post where the defendant expressed his intent to burn down the mobile home,” the complaint read.

John Newport remains behind bars at the Stearns County Jail on a $1 million bond with conditions or $2 million without conditions. Authorities said the investigation is ongoing.

For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast. Here is a related episode. 

Join Nancy Grace for her new online video series designed to help you protect what you love most – your children.

[Feature Photo: Jayme and James Newport/Facebook; Police Handout]