A Kentucky man with a long criminal history is behind bars again after he allegedly attacked a young girl, then provided in-depth details about the incident, police say.
Courier-Journal reports that police responded to an attack off of the 1700 block of Hale Avenue in Louisville on Friday afternoon after someone reported an 8-year-old had been attacked and robbed. The little girl was playing in her backyard with an iPad when a man approached her and carried out the brutal attack.
According to court documents, 29-year-old Cane Madden allegedly hit the little girl in the head with a shovel, then raped her and stole her iPad. First responders rushed the girl to Norton Children’s Hospital, where a physician told police the child had a right skull fracture, contusions, cuts, and “significant bruising & tearing … indicative of sexual assault.”
Doctors performed several surgeries on the victim, but she’s expected to survive.
Authorities questioned Madden after learning he was in the area both before and after the assault. He eventually told investigators “intimate details” about what happened to the girl, which ultimately led to his arrest, according to an arrest warrant.
A day before the attack, a judge found him incompetent to stand trial in connection with a burglary case, the outlet reports.
According to WDRB, Madden was accused of a previous sexual-related crime in June 2017. Those charges were dismissed after Judge Annie O’Connell reportedly found the suspect mentally incompetent to stand trial.
According to court documents, the judge wrote that “three different mental health professionals” said Madden wouldn’t have been able to “follow the evidence presented during a trial.”
“Mr. Madden lacks the intellectual capacity to understand his basic Constitutional rights,” O’Connell wrote.
Court records indicate that during the 2017 attack, Madden was accused of biting a chunk out of the victim’s face.
Madden’s latest charges include first-degree rape, first-degree assault, and first-degree robbery. He remains behind bars on $1 million bond. An arraignment is set for 9 a.m. Monday.
Meanwhile, residents in the girl’s neighborhood are questioning why Madden was allowed to walk the streets freely, given his criminal record.
“The neighborhood is hot. They are heated…..How did he get on the streets?” Yolanda Walker, the President of the California Neighborhood Leadership Council, asked WDRB.
“I don’t know if you want to put it on the news, but I’d like to see him castrated.”
For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast. Here is our latest episode.
[Feature Photo: Pixabay]