Authorities have confirmed a second death in the Thursday morning shooting at Saugus High School in Santa Clarita.
As the Washington Post reports, officials from Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Office confirmed on Thursday that a 16-year-old girl and a 14-year-old boy have died in the shooting that took place before 8 a.m. at the high school north of Los Angeles.
Clarifying conflicting reports earlier in the day about the condition of the suspected shooter, authorities said that the suspect had survived a self-inflicted gunshot wound in an apparent suicide attempt and was in grave condition at Henry Mayo Hospital. Earlier reports had erroneously said that the suspect was dead.
The Los Angeles Times reports that the shooting took place on the suspect’s 16th birthday.
According to the Washington Post report, two patients were at the hospital in critical condition and another person was in good condition.
Authorities have not yet released the identities of the shooting suspect or the victims. While searching for the suspect, authorities had described him as an Asian male wearing all black.
For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast.
[Feature image: AP Photo/Ringo H.W. Chiu]