The two doctors brutally murdered in their luxury Boston penthouse were ambushed by their killer hours before they were both found dead, a court heard this week.
As CrimeOnline previously reported, Dr. Lina Bolanos and Dr. Richard Field, anesthesiologists who were engaged to be married, were both found murdered in their South Boston penthouse apartment in May 2017.
Bampumim Teixeira was arrested for the double homicide and is currently on trial at Suffolk Superior Court, the Boston Herald reports. The suspect briefly worked as a concierge at the high-rise Macallen Building, and allegedly planned the robbery-turned-murder for months. It remains unclear if the suspect expected to encounter either victim, though he was armed with “implements of destruction,” a prosecutor said in court.
“As Lina Bolanos was getting ready for work that morning another person was making his way to South Boston — looking, waiting, lurking out front and out back for just the right opportunity to present itself. And it did,” Assistant District Attorney John Pappas said in his opening statement, according to the report.
The prosecutor reportedly added that Teixeira brought pliers, handcuffs, duct tape, and knives and was waiting for Bolanos, 38, when she returned home from work just before 5 p.m. on May 5, 2017. Building surveillance footage reportedly captured Field arriving home at around 6:30, and he is also believed to have been ambushed by Teixeira when he arrived home.
Field reportedly tried to call 911 several times during the ordeal, until he eventually texted a friend, who called police.
“Despite their best efforts … the 911 operators could not make out enough information to send help,” Pappas said in court, according to the Boston Herald report.
It was around 9 p.m. by the time police arrived, and found both victims dead. Both had been stabbed to death, and Bolanos had stab wounds to her neck.
Police reportedly encountered Teixeira in the building–there have been conflicting reports about whether he was in the apartment itself or elsewhere in the building–and fired at him. He was taken into custody and provided medical treatment for two gunshot wounds.
According to the Boston Herald report, Teixeira has pleaded not guilty.
“No credible evidence will tell you that Bampumim Teixeira broke into the home,” the suspect’s attorneuy said in opening statements on Thursday. “And that’s because he didn’t.”
Trial proceedings are expected to continue on Friday.
For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast.