Fotis Dulos: Alleged wife killer reportedly leaves note behind after suicide attempt. Family arrives from Greece after learning his condition is ‘dire’

Connecticut authorities reportedly found a note left behind by a man accused of killing his estranged wife, Jennifer Dulos, but there were no clues or information provided that led to her whereabouts.

The Hartford Courant reports that Fotis Dulos, according to sources close to the case, left a note proclaiming his innocence before he tried to take his own life on Tuesday. The note was allegedly found during a search of Dulos’ Farmington, Connecticut, home.

The sources also indicated that Dulos made mention that his lawyer had information that would help prove his innocence.

How do you protect your children from predators? Join Nancy Grace and a team of world-class experts for the online course ‘Justice Nation: Crime Stops Here’.

As CrimeOnline previously reported, Dulos is currently in a hyperbaric chamber at New York’s Jacobi Medical Center after attempting to kill himself via carbon monoxide poisoning.

Authorities found Dulos inside a black Chevrolet Suburban parked inside his garage at around 11:44 a.m. The windows of the vehicle were rolled up and a hose had been attached to the vehicle’s exhaust pipe.

Officials indicated that he was in clear need of medical condition. According to the Stamford Advocate, Dulos’ attorneys are worried that he has a small chance of recovery.

“Candidly, his medical condition is dire,” Dulos’ attorney, Norm Pattis, said.

A yellow tarp is set up and watched over by a police officer outside of the garage to Fotis Dulos’ home, Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2020, in Farmington, Conn. A dispatcher from the Farmington police said officers had responded to Dulos’ home and he was later transported to the hospital (AP Photo/Jessica Hill)

Dulos was scheduled for an emergency bond hearing at the Stamford Superior Court on the day he tried to take his life. The week prior, Dulos violated his bond requirements by taking items left outside of his house that were meant as memorial items for Jennifer.

His house confinement restrictions required Dulos to stay inside his home while awaiting trial, which means he cannot leave his property, even if just a few feet outside of it. Dulos was reportedly worried that his bond could get revoked, which may have prompted the suicide attempt.

Despite his absence, Dulos’ emergency bond hearing was held on Wednesday. Superior Court Judge Gary White ordered for Dulos to be arrested again, should he recover. White increased his bond from $6 million to $6.5 million.

“Today’s agreement is a recognition of the difficulty of his medical condition. We’ve agreed that (Dulos) can be in re-arrest status when and if he’s capable of returning to court and the court indicated they’re open to hearing our motion to vacate the re-arrest. In other words, that will return the clock to where it is,” Pattis explained.

Meanwhile, the Stamford Advocate reports that family members who flew in from Greece are at Jacobi Medical Center visiting Dulos after learning of his critical condition.

A woman considered his “best friend,” who reportedly paid for a portion of his $6 million bond and who had been at his home on Tuesday, was also at the hospital, the outlet reports. The Hartford Courant, however, reported that the woman was Dulos’ girlfriend.

Authorities have not named the woman and have not clarified what her relationship is to Dulos.

What Happened to Jennifer Dulos?

Jennifer was last seen at around 8 a.m. on May 24 while dropping her children off at the New Canaan Country School in the prominent New Canaan community in Connecticut.

Police later found her vehicle parked around a block away from her home. A cleaning service arrived at her home at noon on May 24 but never saw Jennifer.

Jennifer also missed several appointments that day, including one at 11 a.m. and one at 1 p.m. Since she vanished, she has not used her cellphone or her credit cards.

According to an arrest warrant, Dulos is accused of bounding Jennifer with zip ties to restrain her before killing her. Connecticut Chief Medical Examiner James R. Gill indicated that Jennifer Dulos probably endured a “non-survivable” injury which likely included stabbing and blunt force trauma.

“It is reasonable that Jennifer Dulos was alive at the time the zip ties were attached to restrain her movements and to prevent her escape,” the warrant read.

Jennifer Dulos
Jennifer Dulos [Handout]
Search dogs and search teams scoured through wooded areas by Jennifer’s home, as well as a 300-acre park, bodies of water and a cornfield within days after she vanished. Authorities also spent days searching at a large dump facility and scouring Fotis Dulos’ property in Farmington.

Both Dulos and his former girlfriend, Michelle Troconis, have been arrested three times in connection with the case. They were arrested twice for tampering with evidence. The third arrests came after authorities charged Dulos with kidnapping and murder, and Troconis with conspiracy to commit murder.

Authorities found numerous items of items that they say tie both Troconis and Dulos to the crime. According to the initial arrest affidavit, investigators found, in part:

  • Bags of blood-stained clothing and sponges that Dulos allegedly dropped into trash cans at businesses in Connecticut
  • Stains of blood on Jennifer’s garage floor
  • Blood spatter in numerous areas of Jennifer’s home
  • Dulos’ DNA mixed in with Jennifer’s blood on her kitchen faucet
  • Obvious attempts to clean up the scene
  • Altered Connecticut license plates that belonged to Dulos
  • Security footage of Dulos driving a Ford pickup to various locations, dropping trash bags into different public trash receptacles
  • Security footage of Troconis “leaning out of the passenger seat of the Ford pickup and either placing something on the ground or picking up an item”

Authorities believe a “serious physical assault” happened to Jennifer, and the “the crime and the cleanup are believed to have occurred between 8:05 a.m. and 10:25 a.m.” on May 24.

Investigators also accused Dulos of “lying in wait” for Jennifer to come home during the morning she vanished. Security footage captured her walking into her New Canaan home at around 8:30 a.m. Authorities noted that Jennifer’s SUV left her residence at some point on May 24, but they think Fotis Dulos was behind the wheel.

The pair were in the process of a tumultuous divorce and a bitter battle for custody of their children when Jennifer disappeared. The children are now living in New York with Jennifer’s mother, Gloria Farber.

The story continues. Check back for updates.

For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast.

Join Nancy Grace for her new online video series designed to help you protect what you love most – your children.

[Feature Photo: Jennifer Dulos/Handout; Fotis Dulos via AP/Chris Ehrmann]