Alejandro Ripley

Alejandro Ripley: 9-year-old boy pushed in canal by his own mother had signs of head trauma [Report]

*WARNING*: Video may be disturbing to some viewers

A Florida boy, 9-year-old boy Alejandro Ripley, is dead after police say his own mother purposely pushed him into a canal.

Police found Alejandro’s body on Thursday night, in a canal off of Southwest 62nd Street and 138th Court, near the Miccosukee Golf and Country Club in Miami. A Miami-Dade medical examiner said the boy’s cause of death is drowning and the manner of death is homicide, according to police.

Local 10 News reports that sources indicated the boy also had head trauma. It’s unclear at this point how he got head injuries.

How do you protect your children from predators? Join Nancy Grace and a team of world-class experts for the online course ‘Justice Nation: Crime Stops Here.’

As CrimeOnline previously reported, footage captured 47-year-old Patricia Ripley during her first attempt as she pushed her son, Alejandro, into a canal at 103rd Avenue and Kendall Drive at around 7:30 p.m. on May 21. Someone rescued the boy and even offered to call the police on Ripley’s behalf.

A witness said the little boy, who was non-verbal and autistic, was “just sitting there” in the chest-high canal water when his mother turned away from her son, leaving him in the water as she ran toward an older man and woman.

“And, at the time, I thought they were together because that woman was giving it to her, screaming, ‘What are you doing? Why’d you leave the kid there?’”

The older man pulled Alejandro out of the canal and helped dry him off.

“They just dried him off and they walked that way. The older couple went into the hallway and she walked to the south with him,” the witness told Local News 10.

Around an hour later, Ripley allegedly drove to Southwest 62nd Street and 138th Court, near the Miccosukee Golf and Country Club, and pushed Alejandro into another canal, where he drowned.

“She brought the boy to a different canal … this time, there was no one there to save him,” Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle said.

Ripley initially told police that her son had been kidnapped by two black men who forced her car off-road, close to a Home Depot off of Kendall Drive, and demanded drugs. Ripley told police that when she didn’t have drugs to give them, one of the men grabbed her son, cellphone and other items.

The Miami Herald reports that a source close to the case said that security footage at the Home Depot showed Ripley sitting by herself in her car for around 20 minutes around the time the supposed abduction took place. Alejandro was not in the car with her. She then called the police. It’s unclear what phone she used to contact authorities.

Hours later, police found the boy’s body.

“That was the sad part,” the witness told Local News 10. “Like this is your moment to not do that. She had a moment where she tried it and it didn’t work — maybe that’s the time to collect yourself and go on a different path.”

Patricia Ripley [Police Handout]
After investigators confronted Ripley about her conflicting statements, she reportedly confessed to what she did and added that her son was “going to be in a better place.”

Alejandro, at one point, attended the Greater Heights Academy, a school for special needs children. Court records indicate that the school filed a lawsuit against Patricia Ripley for $4,100 in unpaid tuition in 2016, according to the Miami Herald.

At the time of his death, he was being homeschooled. Investigators say that Ripley may have been overwhelmed in the past months.

Ripley remains behind bars without bond. Check back for updates.

For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast. Here is our latest episode.

Join Nancy Grace for her new online video series designed to help you protect what you love most – your children.

[Feature Photo: Alejandro Ripley/Police Handout]