Mailyah Bass

Maliyah Bass: Boyfriend, mom charged as officials release probable cause for Texas tot found dead in bayou

On Tuesday, Houston police arrested a mother and her boyfriend in connection with the death of 2-year-old Maliyah Bass.

As CrimeOnline previously reported, a jogger found Maliyah’s body floating in Brays Bayou, off of the 5200 block of Carrolton Street in SW Houston on August 23. Maliyah was reportedly last seen playing in the playground of the Sunset Crossing apartments in SW Houston on August 22.

Doomsday death & deception: Nancy Grace investigates “Cult Mom” Lori Vallow. Inside sources reveal brand new bombshell information. Click here to watch.

The child’s mother, Sahara Ervin, 20, told Fox 7 in August that she had been watching from a nearby window as Maliyah played at the apartment complex playground. Ervin said she turned away momentarily and when she looked back, her daughter was gone.

“This is really devastating to me. Who could be watching my baby to even snatch her from the park?” Ervin asked.

Maliyah lived with her mother and her mother’s boyfriend, Travion Thompson, 21, according to authorities.

Sahara Ervin and Travion Thompson [Police Handout]
ABC 8 reports that Ervin and Thompson are now behind bars for injury to a child and tampering with evidence, namely a human corpse. Court documents indicate that an autopsy confirmed Maliyah had a broken arm and blunt force trauma of “looped-pattern bruising all over her body.”

Thompson allegedly confessed after his arrest and put the blame on Ervin, claiming that the woman beat the toddler with a hairbrush when she was crying and wouldn’t sleep. Court records indicate that the pair then put Maliyah in a broom closet, naked, and woke up to find the toddler dead on the following day.

Thompson reportedly admitted that they hid Maliyah’s body in a storm drain on August 22. The next day, Maliyah was found floating in the bayou.

The following video contains previous footage of Thompson before his arrest.

Thompson appeared on the scene shortly after Maliyah’s disappearance and chastised police for not doing their job correctly.

“Y’all are supposed to have four, five dogs looking for my baby,” he previously said.

KHOU reports that authorities said they “knew what happened all along,” but had been waiting on official autopsy results.

“Our community and all who loved Maliyah Bass can breathe a sigh of relief today knowing that thanks to the dedication of (Houston police) Homicide detectives, we are on our way to getting justice for Maliyah,” Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo said in a tweet. “May she rest in peace.”

In court overnight, a judge set bail at $175,000 for Ervin and $150,000 for Thompson.

Check back for updates.

For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast.  Here is our latest episode. 

Join Nancy Grace for her new online video series designed to help you protect what you love most – your children.

[Feature Photo: Maliyah Bass/Facebook]