Enrique Roman Martinez

Young Fort Bragg paratrooper murdered, decapitated with ‘chop injuries’ and a broken jaw: Reports

A Fort Bragg paratrooper who passed away on Memorial Day was decapitated, an autopsy report confirms.

The Fayetteville Observer reports that 21-year-old Spc. Enrique Roman-Martinez was camping at Cape Lookout National Seashore with other soldiers over Memorial Day weekend when he lost his life. The other soldiers camping with him told investigators that he disappeared.

Around a week later, parts of Roman-Martinez ‘s body washed ashore near Mile Marker 53, including his severed head. An autopsy report confirmed that his head had numerous “chop injuries,” a broken jaw and cuts. His spine was also severed.

Doomsday death & deception: Nancy Grace investigates “Cult Mom” Lori Vallow. Inside sources reveal brand new bombshell information. Click here to watch.

“Despite multiple conversations with investigating officers, no explanation for the death of this individual or the findings at autopsy has been offered,” the autopsy report said. “It is therefore my opinion that while a definitive cause of death cannot be determined, the findings, in this case, are most consistent with death due to homicide.”

“While decapitation is, in and of itself, universally fatal, the remainder of the body in this case was not available for examination, and therefore potential causes of death involving the torso and extremities cannot be excluded.”

Roman-Martinez was a resource specialist in the 82nd Airborne Division’s 37th Brigade Engineer Battalion, 2nd Brigade Combat Team.

According to division spokesperson, Lt. Col. Mik Burns, a $25,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the conviction of the responsible party.

Park ranger Nate Toering said that Cape Lookout was extremely busy over Memorial Day weekend. However, the island is narrow, Toering said, making it a difficult place to disappear unless something sinister happened.

Friends who were with the soldier called 911, ABC 13 reports, and said last saw him walking away at around midnight, wearing only blue shorts.

“When we woke up he was not here and we’ve been looking for him all day,” the caller said. “We might be afraid that he might’ve hurt himself but we’re really not sure.”

Yet, when two rangers in uniform asked them to move their vehicles the following day at around 2 p.m., no one in the group of friends mentioned or asked about Roman-Martinez.

“We remain committed to finding those responsible for the senseless killing of our teammate, Spc. Roman-Martinez,” Burns said. “We also remain in constant contact with his family to keep them informed on progress with the case.”

Check back for updates.

For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast. Here is a related episode. 

Join Nancy Grace for her new online video series designed to help you protect what you love most – your children.

[Feature Photo: Spc. Enrique Roman-Martinez/ U.S. Army]