Two teen girls accused of felony murder after carjacking an Uber driver have gotten a plea deal, according to reports.
As CrimeOnline previously reported, 66-year-old Mohammad Anwar was killed in March after two girls, ages 13 and 15, allegedly tried to steal his vehicle in Washington D.C. The car ended up crashing in Southeast D.C., off of Vann Street.
Detectives said that the teens assaulted Anwar with a Taser before the deadly crash. A witness reportedly told police that they spotted the girls in a physical tussle with the victim.
Both suspects later pleaded “not involved,” although Detective Chad Leo of the D.C. police homicide unit confirmed that one of the girls told him that they wanted to steal a car on the day in question.
Leo added that the girls snuck into Anwar’s car at the Navy Yard Metro station while armed with a stun gun.
Later, a witness saw the 15-year-old girl in the driver’s seat, while the 13-year-old sat in the passenger minutes before the crash.
“He’s got my cellphone!” one of the girls reportedly screamed, according to the witness, while Anwar stood outside of the car. He forced his way back into the car and climbed on the suspect in the driver seat, but she “manipulated” the gear shift, Leo said, which caused Anwar to hang “outside the car” through the open driver’s side window.
Minutes later, the crash happened.
Last Wednesday, according to The Washington Post, prosecutor Bonnie Lindemann said a plea deal would possibly be in the works within two to three days.
On Monday, the plea deal was reached, which ensure that both teens will not be sent to prison; their names will also be released once they turn 21, MailOnline reports.
Members of the community are pushing for the teens to receive a harsher punishment. D.C. Police Commander Ramey Kyle said that one of the suspects is a person of interest in another carjacking that occurred in January.
Acting Chief Robert Contee III told Fox 5 that although he understands the frustration, “the whole community needs to figure out” how to ensure accountability.
“The 15-year-old would not be charged as an adult. You know, obviously, this is a tragic case and, you know, charging this person as an adult [who’s] a juvenile … does not bring back the lost loved one in this case. And certainly, again, the 15-year-old would not be eligible as a Title 16 case. You know, and it’s not really pointing fingers at anyone – the courts or anyone.
We have to ask ourselves as a community, is what we’re seeing with responding to how carjackers are being held accountable – is that sufficient? Does that align with the desires of our community? And I would say that if it does not – that everyone, we need to take a look at what we’re doing and how we can be more effective in ensuring that these things are fewer and far in between.”
Meanwhile, the defense lawyers for both suspects have until April 20 to review the evidence.
Check back for updates.
For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast. Here is our latest episode.
[Feature Photo: Mohammad Anwar/Police Handout]