Questions surrounding a phone purchased before Brian Laundrie’s disappearance may have been answered by an attorney representing his family, yet, the date the phone was bought remains unclear.
As CrimeOnline previously reported, FBI agents reportedly pulled security footage from an AT&T store in North Port, Florida, and discovered that Laundrie and an “older woman” went into the store on September 14, the day Laundrie disappeared. They reportedly bought a burner phone on the same day.
The Laundrie family attorney, Steve Bertolini, told reporter Brian Entin with Nation News Now that the FBI has a phone purchased at the store on September 4.
“I can confirm that a phone was purchased on September 4, 2021 and Brian opened an account with AT&T for that phone. (Not a burner.)” Bertolino said in a text to Entin. “Brian left that phone at home the day he went for a hike in the preserve on September 14, 2021 and the FBI now has that phone.”
However, Bertolino told Fox News a different story. He said that the FBI has Laundrie’s phone, but claimed he didn’t know the exact date the phone was purchased.
“I never confirmed the date the phone was purchased-as I do not have the specific date-only that a phone was purchased and Brian left it as [sic] home the day he went for a hike in the preserve and the FBI now has that phone…Otherwise no comment.”
The FBI declined to clear up the confusion, stating that they can’t comment due to the ongoing investigation.
“This is an ongoing investigation, and we do not have any comment other than our official statements as posted on Twitter (@FBIDenver).”
As CrimeOnline previously reported, 23-year-old Laundrie is wanted on a felony warrant following the death of his girlfriend, 22-year-old Gabby Petito. Laundrie and Petito embarked on a cross-country trip in July, but by September 1, Laundrie returned to his parents’ North Port, Florida, home with Petito’s van, sans Petito.
Earlier this month, authorities found Gabby’s deceased body in a remote area at the Bridger-Teton National Forest in Wyoming. Officials confirmed that the manner of death was a homicide but the cause of death is still pending.
Authorities issued the federal warrant for Laundrie for allegedly using a Capitol One Bank debit card without permission after Gabby passed away. Laundrie is said to have used the card between August 30 and September 1, “knowingly and with intent to defraud.”
Laundrie’s parents have insisted they have no clue where he is. They claimed he left their residence with a backpack on and headed to the Carlton Reserve on September 14. They reported him missing three days later.
Check back for updates.
For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast. Listen to a related episode.
[Feature Photo: Instagram]