Ad
Ad

Police Announce ‘Persons of Interest’ in Moab Double Murders, Brian Laundrie Ruled Out

Police have multiple persons of interest in mind in connection to a couple killed in August 2021 while camping in Moab, Utah.

The Grand County Sherriff’s Office announced Thursday that Kylen Schulte and Crystal Turner were shot numerous times while at a campsite. The sheriff’s office added the victims had no forcible signs of sexual assault.

The victims had been married just four months before they were killed.

Although none of the persons of interest have been named, investigators said Brian Laundrie, a Florida man accused of killing his girlfriend, Gabby Petito, has been ruled out as a suspect.

“Upon investigation, the FBI and Florida Investigators have determined, based on electronic transmission evidence, that neither Petito nor Laundrie were involved in this case,” Grand County Sheriff Steven White said.

As CrimeOnline previously reported, Schulte and Turner (also known as Crystal Beck) were last seen on August 13, 2021, when they left Woody’s Tavern in Moab. A family member said on social media that the couple had called them Saturday night saying they needed to change campsites because of a “weirdo camping near them that was freaking them out.”

Kylen Schulte and Crystal Beck/Facebook

Schulte and Turner didn’t take any photos of the man and they never gave a description of him.

Daily Beast and DailyMail obtained video security footage from the Moab tavern, where the couple met up with a friend, Kayla Borza, for a few drinks. Borza said the women mentioned a creep camping next to them but didn’t seem overly scared or shocked.

We were just having a great time, having a couple drinks, and all they said was there was a creep [staying] next to them,” Borza said. “And that was it.”

The pair arrived at the bar at around 6 p.m. on August 13, 2021, and left at around 9 p.m. Bar manager Arielle Beck told Daily Beast that she saw the couple with Borza but didn’t see them chatting with anyone else before they left.

Police said that the shooter is not a threat to the public, but Hunter disagreed.

“How are we safe if you have a double homicide?’ You don’t have a suspect in custody. You’re not claiming it was a murder-suicide so how are we possibly safe? It honestly feels like they’re just trying to protect the tourism industry in Moab.”

Police said they will continue to follow up with leads and information.

“We are currently following up with what comes to our attention during this investigation and will continue to be available to people to come forward with information,” a Moab sheriff’s office spokesperson previously said.

Check back for updates.

For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast.

Join Nancy Grace for her new online video series designed to help you protect what you love most – your children.

[Featured Photos via Facebook/Kylen Schulte and Crystal Turner; Brian Laundrie and Gabby Petito]