A Michigan woman who allegedly raped a man at knifepoint earlier this year will likely not spend a day behind bars.
MLive reports that Lestina Marie Smith, 18, pleaded no contest on September 13 to second-degree criminal sexual conduct. As part of the plea deal, prosecutors agreed to drop two counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct—the most serious charges the teen was facing.
Authorities said Smith was 17 when she raped the then-19-year-old man in his car while wielding a steak knife. The teen was accused of forcing the victim to partake in both oral and vaginal sex. Previous testimony indicated that she also videotaped part of the January 11 ordeal.
The defendant’s mother, Tanesha Jackson, 44, said she didn’t believe her daughter is a violent person and maintained that the victim was considered family, according to a previous report by MLive.
“I’m not going to believe that my daughter raped him. I’m not going to believe it,” Jackson said.
“I’m not saying that a man can’t be raped. I need people to give her a chance. Don’t judge her.”
In court, the victim testified that he dated Smith for two months in late 2016 and that he didn’t know why she wanted to meet on January 11. However, he testified that he called Smith a “w****” four days before the incident and that Smith had recently deleted a video he had of them having sex.
Reports note that the no-contest plea isn’t an admission of guilt. Smith’s sentencing is scheduled for October 5.
[Featured Image: Saginaw County Sheriff’s Office]