Jorge L Montanez

‘Dad’ who previously tried to hack girlfriend to death in front of young daughters now accused of beating disabled son in face with baseball bat

An Illinois father was arrested last week for allegedly beating his disabled adult son with a bat during a dispute on Christmas Eve.

According to the Chicago Tribune, Jorge L. Montanez, 50, is facing charges for an attack that has left his 24-year-old son hospitalized. Prosecutors said that Montanez demanded an apology from his son for an earlier argument. When he refused, Montanez allegedly punched him in the face.

Montanez is said to have retrieved a baseball bat from the car, which he reportedly used to strike his son in the face before dragging him out the vehicle. The father continued the beating and slapped a phone out of his son’s hands when he tried to call for help, authorities said.

The victim became disabled during a shooting that occurred two years earlier, according to the Chicago Tribune.

An arrest report obtained by the newspaper indicated that the 24-year-old suffered a “severe injury” as a result of the alleged Christmas Eve attack and was still hospitalized when Montanez was taken into custody.

Prosecutors said that this isn’t Montanez’s first brush with the law. In court, attorneys revealed that he was convicted of attempted murder in 1995 for attacking his two daughters’ mother with a hatchet, leaving her permanently disfigured.

According to prosecutors, Montanez told the 7- and 8-year-old girls, “Say goodbye to your mother, [because] I’m gonna kill her.”

A court sentenced Montanez to 40 years for hatchet attack. It appears that the convicted felon was released ahead of the original sentence as his parole ended on December 26 – two days after the incident with his disabled son, according to the Tribune.

The North Lawndale man was charged with aggravated battery and domestic battery. He is currently being held on $200,000 bail.

 

[Featured Image: Jorge L. Montanez/Chicago police]