Police said a worker died on Walt Disney World property early Wednesday after he fell into a vat of oil and was overcome by the fumes.
According to the Orlando Sentinel, the 61-year-old man was emptying oil and grease from a tractor-trailer on the 2000 block of South Service Lane when he slipped and fell into the vat. Officials said witnesses tried to pull the man out to no avail.
Deputies with the Orange County Sheriff’s Office said the man became “overwhelmed” by the fumes and slipped further into the oil. The Reedy Creek Fire Department ultimately retrieved the man’s body from the vat.
A spokesperson for Harvest Power confirmed that the man who died Wednesday was one of its employees. The company converts organic food waste, such as oil, into green energy.
“This was tragic incident,” the company said in a statement. “We are all deeply saddened by the loss of this co-worker. We are in shock and grief, and figuring out what happened.”
Harvest Power services hotels and restaurants all over Central Florida. Disney’s restaurants and hotels were the Massachusetts-based company’s first and biggest client, according to WESH.
News 13 reported that the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) is investigating the deadly incident. The man’s identity hasn’t been released.
[Featured image: WESH video screengrab]