As details emerge about the 13 siblings allegedly starved and chained to furniture by their parents, officials revealed a course of action that includes providing care for the couple’s adult children.
According to CBS News, Department of Public Social Services Director Susan von Zabern said during a press conference Tuesday that the agency is working to obtain court authorization so they can oversee and care for all of David and Louise Turpin’s children, who range in age from 2 to 29.
Police indicated that officers who responded to the Perris, California home ascertained that seven of the siblings were adults but were so malnourished that they looked younger, The New York Times reported.
“The victims appeared to be malnourished and very dirty,” police said.
As CrimeOnline previously reported, Riverside County police arrested David, 57, and Louise, 49, on Sunday after their 17-year-old daughter fled the home and called 911 from a deactivated cellphone she had stolen from the residence. The teen allegedly revealed to officers that she and her 12 siblings were being held captive in the filthy home.
Deputies reportedly provided food and water to the children who said they were starving. Authorities said they were being hospitalized but didn’t release their conditions.
“We do need to acknowledge the courage of that young girl who escaped,” Riverside County Sherrif’s Department Captain Greg Fellows said Tuesday.
David and Louise are charged with torture and child endangerment. They are each being held on $9 million bail.
[Feature Photo: David and Louise Turpins/Riverside County Sheriff’s Department]