Authorities are reportedly planning to conduct DNA tests on the 13 abused children found in the California House of Horrors to confirm that they weren’t kidnapped.
Sources reportedly told Crime Watch Daily that investigators are considering conducting genetic tests to verify that all 13 children found in the Perris residence are related. However, the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department declined to discuss this possible development with reporters for the television show.
As CrimeOnline previously reported, Riverside County police arrested David, 57, and Louise, 49, last week after their 17-year-old daughter reportedly escaped the home and called for help. The teen allegedly told officers that her parents were holding her and her 12 siblings captive–and presented pictures that corroborated her story.
The California couple is accused of starving and shackling their children to filthy furniture in their unkempt, run-down Perris home. Authorities said that Louise and David’s prolonged neglect has left their severely underweight children with cognitive impairments, according to ABC.
David and Louise pleaded not guilty to all charges, which include 12 counts of torture, seven counts of abuse of a dependent adult, six counts of child abuse, and 12 counts of false imprisonment. David has also pleaded not guilty to committing a lewd act on a child under 14 by force or fear. They face 94 years to life in prison if convicted as charged.
Each of the parents is being held on $12 million bail, the Turpins are scheduled to appear in court on February 23.
[Featured Image: David and Louise Turpin/Riverside County Sheriff’s Department]