David and Louise Turpin, the California couple accused of shackling and starving their 13 children, were reportedly days away from moving to Oklahoma before their arrest last week.
Sources told ABC News that the family was “within days” of moving from Perris to Oklahoma as David Turpin had gotten a job transfer with defense contractor Northrop Grumann.
“There were boxes in the house consistent with moving–concentrated in hallways, entryway, and bedrooms,” sources said.
It’s unclear, however, whether the upcoming move played a role in the 17-year-old’s escape, which resulted in the couple’s arrest.
As CrimeOnline previously reported, Riverside County police arrested David and Louise Turpin last week after their teen daughter reportedly escaped the home and called for help using a deactivated cell phone.
The teen allegedly told officers that her parents were holding her and her 12 siblings captive–and presented pictures that corroborated her story.
Since their rescue, authorities have accused the parents of withholding food, allowing their children to shower only once a year, and chaining them to furniture.
ABC also reported that authorities said the Turpin children have cognitive impairments due to the prolonged neglect they’ve suffered.
Despite this, David, 57, and Louise, 49, have pleaded not guilty to all charges, which include 12 counts of torture, seven counts of abuse of a dependent adult, six counts of child abuse, and 12 counts of false imprisonment. David has also pleaded not guilty to committing a lewd act on a child under 14 by force or fear. They face 94 years to life in prison if convicted as charged.
Being held on $12 million bail, the Turpins are scheduled to appear in court on February 23.
Listen to expert analysis from Nancy Grace and guests on this story:
[Featured Image: Turpin family/Facebook]