Anthony Borges, the final survivor of the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School that claimed 17 lives, was reportedly released from the hospital on Friday.
According to NBC News, Borges, 15, was shot four times in the back and legs during the Valentine’s Day bloodbath as he shielded a room full of classmates. The teen had a third of his lung removed and one of the bullets came extremely close to his liver, the news station reported.
Despite being credited with saving as many as 20 people, the shooting survivor doesn’t believe he’s a hero and is just happy to be alive.
“I think I was going to die,” Borges told Today show’s Kerry Sanders Wednesday, days after being released from Broward Health Medical Center in Fort Lauderdale.
As CrimeOnline reported in early March, the 15-year-old was temporarily in intensive care and placed on a ventilator after undergoing emergency surgery. Borges’ father told the Miami Herald that an MRI detected a possible infection and an ulcer in his small intestine caused by the multiple of bullets that pierced his body.
Fortunately, doctors believe Borges will recover and will eventually be back to playing soccer, NBC reported.
Despite this, family attorney Alex Arreaza said he’s planning to provide more information about a lawsuit against the school district and Broward County, alleging negligence. CrimeOnline previously reported that the family is suing to cover Borges’ mounting medical bills—which will likely exceed $1 million.
[Featured Image: Anthony Borges/Today video screengrab]