Nurse killed two patients, left two in vegetative state by forcing air into their arteries: Affidavit

Police said a Texas nurse who killed two patients and left another two in a vegetative state did so by putting air in their arterial line.

An arrest affidavit obtained by KLTV Wednesday detailed seven incidents involving nurse William George Davis, 34, and patients at the CHRISTUS Trinity Mother Frances Hospital. Of those seven incidents, five patients suffered serious injuries and two died, the affidavit said.

Authorities said the patients’ arterial line waveforms corresponded with times when Davis was in the hospital room. For reference, an arterial line is a thin catheter that’s placed into an artery and allows medical staff to quickly check a patient’s blood pressure.

CBS News reports that security footage caught Davis entering and leaving the hospital rooms. Moments later, police said the patients would experience “unexpected medical emergencies.” Doctors told authorities that each patient was recovering from surgery and was responding as normal.

Additionally, a radiologist who reviewed the evidence determined that air was in the patients’ brains when there shouldn’t be, KLTV reported.

Davis worked at CHRISTUS Trinity Mother Francis from 2013 to January of this year. Hospital spokesperson William Knous told KYTX that they started an investigation with local police after an “unusual and unexplained patient outcome” was reported in January. An internal review led to Davis’ firing the same month.

“We believe the issues with Mr. Davis were isolated to him and he acted independently and of his own accord,” he said.

READ More: Nurse ‘performed an intervention’ on multiple patients, killing one and sending two into vegetative state: Cops

Davis was recently arrested for the death of Christopher Greenaway, 47. According to CBS, the veteran underwent surgery on August 3 and experienced an “unexpected neurological incident” the next day. Greenway died a few days later.

Documents revealed that the second person who died under suspicious circumstances Perry Frank, age 61. Frank was recovering from heart surgery at the Tyler hospital when died in June, according to KTRK.

Frank’s family reportedly said they went to run an errand and returned to find him dead.

Davis isn’t facing charges for Frank’s death at this point in time. However, Tyler Police Chief Jimmy Toler said that charges of aggravated assault or causing serious bodily injury could be filed, the Tyler Morning Telegraph reported.

The former nurse is being held at the Smith County jail on $2 million bond.

[Featured Image: William George Davis/Smith County Jail]