Prosecutors announced Thursday that they’re not filing criminal charges in the case of a 1-year-old boy who was reportedly seriously injured at an Indiana daycare late last month.
A spokesperson for the Marion County Prosecutor’s Office confirmed to WCPO that no charges will be filed for an incident involving Jesse Harris IV, who reportedly returned home from Kiddie Garden Daycare in Indianapolis on April 30 with cuts and bruises to his face.
Prosecutor Terry Curry explained their decision in the following statement to WCPO:
“Based on the investigation including medical review, statements from all parties, and cell phone records, the evidence does not support a criminal charge based on Indiana code. A medical expert confirmed that the child’s injuries were consistent with having been inflicted by another young child. The child was reportedly placed in a safe sleeping environment in the same room as an age appropriate child and checked on by the employee periodically. The daycare employee who was responsible for the child’s care has cooperated in the investigation.
Further, we understand this matter is under investigation by the Department of Child Services and will continue to work with that agency as requested.”
As CrimeOnline previously reported, the daycare told mother Tiffany Griffin that her son and a 2-year-old girl were taking a nap together in a separate room when his injuries occurred. Daycare owner Haben Ghebremichael reportedly claimed it was the toddler girl who attacked Harris.
Ghebremichael told WXIN that they fired the worker that was on duty on the day in question.
Nevertheless, Family and Social Services moved last week to execute an emergency order to shut down the daycare. Spokesperson Marni Lemons told WCPO that the owner would have to apply for a new license for the daycare to be reopened.
Reports also indicated that the center had previous violations, including not having smoke detectors, failing to test two employees for drugs, unacceptable child-to-staff ratios, and a moldy basement.
“I’m upset,” Griffin said Thursday in a text message to Indianapolis Star.
“If we were business owners, they would have helped. If it was me (who injured Jesse), I would have been arrested.”
[Feature Photo: Baby Jesse/FOX59 Video Screenshot]