Ad
Ad

Sex offender dad refuses to call 911 for son who overdosed on meth he mistook for cereal: Police

An Indiana father is accused of forgoing medical treatment for his 8-year-old son who ingested his meth and ultimately died of an overdose.

According to The Tribune, a toxicology report released Thursday revealed Curtis Collman III had 18,000 nanograms of methamphetamine—180 times the lethal limit—of methamphetamine in his bloodstream when he died June 21.

The 8-year-old reportedly ingested the meth while with his father, Curtis Collman II, 41, the night earlier. WRAL reported that the boy consumed meth sitting on a plate, mistakenly thinking it was cereal.

The father is accused of taking his son to his parents’ home the next day when, at some point, he became unresponsive. He allegedly prevented anyone from calling 911 and didn’t seek medical assistance for his ailing son. He even went as far as to pull a gun on a friend who attempted to call for help, according to the news station.

According to WAVE, the father admitted that his son was extremely “stiff” as he drove them to his mother’s home. It was there he said the child turned blue, which prompted Curtis Collman II’s father to perform CPR. Police said the grandfather was the one to call 911

Curtis Collman II is charged with neglect of a dependent causing death. He’ll also stand trial in December on charges of pointing a firearm, intimidation, possession of methamphetamine, failure to register as a sex offender, and theft.

While the Indiana father is being held on $50,000 bond, local reports indicated that he recently asked the court for a bond reduction. WRAL noted that his rap sheet includes trafficking and sexual misconduct with a minor charges.

“You have an 8-year-old child that most likely suffered for many hours,” Jackson County Sheriff’s Department Detective Tom Barker told WAVE. “It upsets you.”


[Featured image: Curtis Collman II/Jackson County Detention Center; Curtis Collman III/Family photo via WAVE]