Over a year after her death, boyfriend arrested for killing ex & staging crime scene, leaving fake suicide note: Report

A Tennessee man who was arrested Thursday in connection with the death of his former girlfriend is accused of faking a suicide note left beside the victim, who passed away over a year ago.

WREG reports that Jason Riley, 29, is facing first-degree murder charges in connection with the April 9, 2017, death of his ex-girlfriend, Hollie Marie Adcock, 22. The District Attorney’s Office indicated that Hollie was found shot in the head inside her East Memphis home, off of the 800 block of Thistledown Drive. Riley called 911 and declared Hollie shot herself. She later died at a local hospital.

The U.S. Marshals Gulf Coast Regional Fugitive Task Force arrested Riley on September 19. He was booked into the Shelby County jail and indicted by the Shelby County Grand Jury.

Authorities initially labeled Hollie’s death as a suicide. A letter was left behind that appeared to be a suicide note written by the victim. Investigators later determined that someone had staged the crime scene at the apartment and that the suspect likely created a fake suicide note.

Further, Riley allegedly handled the gun used to shoot Hollie. He’s also accused of sending her threatening text messages prior to the incident, stating he would kill her if she ended the relationship.

Jason Riley [Police Handout]
Hollie was 22 when she passed away. She was a 2015  graduate of Mississippi State University, where she was honor student who enjoyed spending time with her sorority. She graduated from Dyer County High School in 2012, where she was class president and Miss DCHS.

“These last 17 months have been incredibly difficult on our family and friends. Hollie could light up any room and her loss has left a void that is impossible to fill,” a family statement read. “We know that God has sustained us during this time, and we know where Hollie is and we will see her again for eternity.”

In addition to first-degree murder charges, Riley is also facing extortion, filing a false report, and tampering with evidence charges. He remains behind bars on $700,000 bail.

[Feature Photo: Hollie Marie Adcock/Handout]