Gunman who shot at cops, barricaded himself in home surrenders after SWAT negotiator sings ‘White Christmas’: Reports

A suspected gunman who allegedly shot at 11 cops and barricaded himself in a Pennsylvania home was reportedly moved to surrender after a SWAT negotiator sung “White Christmas.”

According to The Philadelphia Inquirer, the Christmas standoff involving Nathaniel Lewis, 34, at his Chester County home lasted nine hours. It was reportedly during a wellness check at 10:30 p.m. when police attempted to enter the home; a Chester County Regional Emergency Response Team negotiator tried to encourage Lewis to surrender but he allegedly talked about “killing police and shooting up the neighborhood” instead.

KYW-TV reported that Lewis began acting erratically after separating from his wife. It was reportedly upon police’s arrival when they discovered he was armed, leading them to call on the SWAT team.

“Over a long and cold night, they kept negotiating with the man, who eventually started shooting at the police and around the neighborhood,” Chester County District Attorney Thomas Hogan recounted in a recent Facebook post, adding that he brought cookies for the SWAT team during the hourslong ordeal.

Hours later, law enforcement reportedly heard two gunshots fired from a second-floor window and one from inside the home. KYW-TV reported that bullets pierced a police vehicle, a civilian’s vehicle, and a nearby home, prompting authorities to elicit the help of a second SWAT team.

Lewis is accused of shooting at police at 6:05, 6:11, and 6:15 a.m. Police returned fire on all three instances, according to The Inquirer. Around 7 a.m., authorities said Lewis asked to hear a Christmas carol—a negotiator obliged and Lewis came out the home and surrendered.

“You can’t make this stuff up,” Hogan said.

Lewis remains jailed as he faces multiple charges, including attempted murder and aggravated assault. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for January 7, 2019.

No rest for Chester County law enforcement over Christmas. Around 9:00 p.m. on Christmas, our SWAT operators had to…

Posted by Thomas Hogan on Wednesday, December 26, 2018

[Featured image: Nathaniel Lewis/Handout]