DAmico McClure Bobbitt mugshots

Johnny Bobbitt: Homeless man at center of $400K GoFundMe scam rearrested for skipping court date

Johnny Bobbitt, the homeless man accused of conspiring with a couple in a GoFundMe scam that raked in nearly half a million dollars, was reportedly rearrested Wednesday in Philadelphia for failing to appear in a New Jersey Court.

According to the New York Daily News, a warrant was issued for Bobbitt, 35, Tuesday after didn’t appear at Burlington County Superior Court, a condition he agreed to meet prior to his release last month. Bobbitt was also ordered to attend regular Narcotics Anonymous meetings and undergo weekly sobriety checks.

“We hope Mr. Bobbitt understands that this won’t go away simply because he chooses not to appear in court,” Burlington County Prosecutor’s Office spokesman Joel Bewley said after Bobbitt failed to appear in court, according to the Cherry Hill Courier-Post.

The outlet reported that Tuesday’s hearing was scheduled after Bobbitt failed to comply with the conditions of his release.

Bobbitt, along with Mark D’Amico and Katelyn McClure, are accused of conspiring to fabricate a story in November 2017 that netted them $400,000 in online donations. They claimed Bobbitt used his last $20 on gas for McClure when she became stranded on an exit ramp on I-95.

The story started to unravel in September 2018 when Bobbitt accused the couple of spending the large sum of money on vacations and gambling. Since then, the crowdfunding platform has refunded money to the campaign’s 14,000 donors.

The trio is currently awaiting charges of theft by deception and conspiracy to commit theft. The Burlington County Prosecutor’s Office said Bobbitt will be extradited to New Jersey.

 

[Featured image: Mark D’Amico, Johnny Bobbitt, and Katelyn McClure/Handout]