Ad
Ad

Horror as worker falls into tank of sulfuric acid at steel manufacturing plant: Officials

A Michigan man died Saturday evening after reportedly falling into a vat full of sulfuric acid at a steel manufacturing firm where he worked.

According to The Detroit News, Daniel Hill, 54, became completely submerged in the 10-12 percent sulfuric acid solution Saturday afternoon at Michigan Seamless Tube in South Lyon. Fire Chief Robert Vogel told the outlet that employees were burned by the highly corrosive chemical as they tried to pull Hill from the container.

“Other employees, co-workers saw him in the tank,” Vogel said, adding that the sulfuric acid was approximately 160 degrees. “He was completely submerged and was 100 percent covered in burns. The gentleman was trying to get out. They ran and grabbed him and pulled him out.”

The Detroit Free Press reported that a state officials’ preliminary investigation revealed that Hill was a technician undergoing training near a chemical container when he fell in.

WWJ News Radio reported that Hill was rushed to the hospital at 12:30 p.m. Saturday and died from his injuries later that evening. It’s unclear how long he was submerged in the vat before being rescued.

South Lyon police chief  Chris Sovik told the news outlet their end of the investigation is closed and that the Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration (MIOSHA) is looking into the deadly incident.

“We don’t believe there was any foul play or criminal matter to investigate,” he explained.

WWJ noted that a man was killed by a heavy piece of machinery at Michigan Seamless Tube about 12 years earlier. The plant has reportedly had three violations since 2014, one of which led to $52,000 in fines.

MISOSHA’s inquiry is expected to take weeks to months. Company officials said they plan to conduct an independent investigation.

Officials said in a statement to the Free Press, “The Company is conducting a comprehensive investigation of the accident and is cooperating with the Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration.”

[Featured image: WWJ News Radio video screengrab]