7-year-old in diapers found unresponsive after being left alone in shower dies; mother arrested

The mother of a 7-year-old Utah boy who died after suspected abuse has been arrested.

Salt Lake City-based new station Fox 13 reports that an unnamed 7-year-old boy died at a children’s hospital after being treated for head trauma. His mother, Reyna Elizabeth Flores-Rosales, reportedly called 911 on Monday and said she found him unresponsive in the shower at their Sandy home.

An arrest affidavit obtained by the network shows that Flores-Rosales told police that her son had taken a shower to clean up after wearing a diaper, and that he was largely left alone there for almost an hour.

“Reyna said [the boy] was in the shower for nearly an hour and she checked on him occasionally,” the affidavit reads. “She went in to check on him again and found him slumped over in the seated position on the floor of the shower. He was not breathing. Reyna moved NC to the front room and called 911.”

When emergency responders arrived, the boy was reportedly on the living room floor and did not have a pulse. He showed multiple signs of injury, according to the affidavit obtained by the news station.

“[The boy] was wet and extremely cold. CPR was initiated and [the boy] was transported to Alta View Hospital before being flown to Primary Children’s by helicopter. A CT scan was performed and significant head trauma was revealed.”

Responders also reportedly found blood in the shower. Doctors determined that the boy’s injuries had been caused by another person, and were the result of a single event, according to the report. The boy reportedly had significant head trauma.

An unnamed individual had previously reported Flores-Morales to CPS after suspected abuse, and a former neighbor told the news station that they had moved away because of the yelling coming from Flores-Morales’ home, and that they suspected her of abuse.

Flores-Morales was arrested on suspicion of child abuse and endangerment of a child. The report indicates that she was arrested prior to her son’s death. It is unclear if she is expected to face additional charges in light of the boy’s death.

CrimeOnline will provide an update when more information is available.