The two brothers implicated in the alleged staged attack involving Jussie Smollett filed a federal lawsuit Tuesday against Smollett’s attorneys, accusing them of defaming their character even after prosecutors dropped the charges against the “Empire” actor.
Abimbola and Olabinjo Osundairo claimed Smollett’s legal team “doubled down” on claims that they attacked the actor even after authorities closed their criminal investigation. In their suit, they stated that Smollett paid them “a sum of money to stage the attack to benefit himself” and “directed every aspect of the attack, including the location and the noose,” according to Chicago Sun-Times.
Smollett was initially charged with 16 counts of disorderly conduct but Cook County prosecutors dropped the charges in late March. Previously, the “Empire” actor was accused of lying to police about being targeted in a hate crime attack in January.
In their 16-page lawsuit, the Osundairos accused Tina Glandian of falsely insinuating during a podcast appearance earlier this month that Abimbola and Smollett had sexual relations. However, the lawsuit stated that Abimbola is heterosexual and in a relationship with a woman, according to the Chicago Tribune.
“Ms. Glandian’s globally broadcasted statements that Bola Osundairo is homosexual endangers him and the lives of his Nigerian family,” the suit said.
The suit goes on to accuse Glandian and Los Angeles-based celebrity attorney Mark Geragos of falsely claiming the brothers wore “white face” while carrying out the attack on Smollett.
In a statement issued to the Tribune, Geragos and Glandian called the brothers’ claims “comical,” “a parody,” and “ridiculous” and said that the defamation lawsuit will be thrown out of court.
They said, “This so-called lawsuit by the brothers is more of their lawyer driven nonsense, and a desperate attempt for them to stay relevant and further profit from an attack they admit they perpetrated.”
[Featured Image: Jussie Smollett/zz/Dennis Van Tine/STAR MAX/IPx via AP]